You will need: Bowls in different sizes, measuring spoons, teaspoons, tablespoons, rolling pin, a sieve and a saucepan.
Ingredients for the dough:
150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting which is used to smooth the dough; the amount of flour is enough for two servings.
125ml water; cold boiled water is better.Ingredients for fillings:
80g Chinese cabbage leaves
½ tsp salt
Ingredients for dipping sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce; Chinese flavour sauce is purchasable in the nearby Chinese supermarket like Chi Yip and Oriental Express.
1 tsp oil; chilli or sesame oil
Step 1: Make the dough.
1. Add water to the flour gradually, mixing with a spoon until the water is absorbed. Don’t use a whisk; the dough is too dry.
2. Remove the unfinished dough onto a clean surface and knead it with your hands. At intervals, dust the dough with a little spare plain flour to avoid stick. This may take about 15 minutes.
3. Put the dough back in the bowl and set aside until it is smooth. It needs 20 minutes or so.
Step 2: Make the filling.
Shred the cabbage leaves and squeeze out the moisture. Mince the pork, squeeze ginger juice, and season with salt. Use your hands to ensure ingredients are mixed fully.
Step 3: Make the wrapper.
1. Kneed and lengthen the dough into a roll about 25cm long and 2.5cm in diameter, using your hands to cut it into small pieces (about 20 discs).
3. Use a rolling pin to roll each piece into a round and flat wrapper about 9 cm in diameter.
Step 4: Wrap the filling into the wrapper
1. Place a half spoonful of filling in the centre of each wrapper.
2. Smear a little water on the edges of the wrapper, and then fold the wrapper by pinching the two edges together, forming a half-circle shape
3. Place the wrapped Jiaozi separately to avoid sticking together.
Step 5: Cook the jiaozi
1. Add salt to water, to prevent wrappers sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
2. When the water is boiling, add the dumplings. Wait until the water boils again and turn down the heat until the dumplings float.
3. Sieve the dumplings.
4. Serve with the dipping sauce.