ROSES 2014: Men’s 3rds in disappointing football loss

[visiongallery set=72157644496868535]

Photos: Philip Mourdjis


UYAFC 3rds were left reeling after being thrashed 5- 2 by their Roses rivals on Saturday morning. A couple of defensive howlers were to blame as Lancaster ran riot to stun the men in black and gold.

York seemed energetic and upbeat from the kick off when a through ball came to Benny on the edge of the box, however Lancaster dealt with his cross well. Benny had another chance soon after as York won a corner, and this time he managed a great delivery though neither of the strikers, Warring and Heath were able to capitalise on the chance.

The game became very physical early on, with the referee letting few challenges go unpunished and the visitors found this out the hard way when Harry O’Brian was penalised in a dangerous position, though the defence were able to head out the delivery for a corner. They couldn’t stop the danger for too long however and the subsequent corner was headed in by Lancaster’s Laurie Jones who seemed to have been left unmarked and unchallenged in the six yard box. O’Brian provided some great deliveries from free kicks as York looked to equalize, however Lancaster didn’t sit back, instead keeping up the pressure after their early lead and as York pressed forward, they began to look vulnerable on the counter attack. York eventually got back on track with a goal before half time when George Warring chased after a clearance from defence, as the ball came down he poked it over the keeper who came out to charge and it bounced over him into the net.

The supporters from the football team showed their delight with the finish with a pitch invasion, they weren’t celebrating for too long however when a shot across goal was tapped in at the fire post by James Conolan, a major setback from York who had worked hard to get back into the game yet trailed at half time 2-1.

The second half started evenly, with chances for both teams but there was a feeling that the next goal would be crucial in deciding the game and not long into the second half, disaster stroke. Lancaster were awarded a penalty with the crowd sure that the foul had been outside the box.

Nevertheless, the decision had been made and Ben Mooney stepped up and with an ‘Andre Pirlo esque’ chip into the middle he wrong footed York keeper Cheshire and gave his team a two goal cushion. Any chance of York getting anything out of this game was firmly written off soon after when a Lancaster free kick, whipped into the box, caught the York defence sleeping the home team found themselves queuing up to put the matches firmly out of the visitors reach, Zenda Stemp providing the finish. 

Sam Weighall managed to give the York crowd something to cheer about with an amazing solo goal, running from the half way line to decrease the deficit. This consolation mattered little though and the embarrassment was complete when not to be out done, Cyle Hunter who had a superb game for the home team scored a beautify goal of his own, driving in his shot from the edge of the box, making the score 5-2, a hammering and disappointment for York, with the first two goals close together in the second half being the turning point in Lancaster’s victory.