‘Ricke back from the brink

A RESOUNDING win for a Goodricke side that are finally showing signs of life against a lethargic Alcuin eleven.

3 points adrift at the bottom of the Revolution Premier Division, this was a game that Goodricke needed to win. Buoyed by the 15-0 battering that their relegation rivals Wentworth received at the hands of Halifax in the preceding fixture, Goodricke were chomping at the bit to go out and prove themselves worthy of a place in the top division of college football.

With all this at stake, an early strike from Luke Sides to open the scoring was exactly what Goodricke needed, settling their nerves a little and giving them the confidence to stamp their authority on a game against an Alcuin side that have surprised many with consecutive wins against Halifax and James.

Not content to rest on their laurels, James Lewis slid a cross into the box for Matt Jeffery who kept his shot low to put it underneath a sprawling Jake Richardson to make it 2-0 to the Heslington East side.

Despite continued pressure from Goodricke, Alcuin looked dangerous on the break and threatened to make the game interesting when Fernando found himself clear through on goal were it not for a great recovery from Robbie Anderson.

The moment of the match was undoubtedly a Goodricke free kick taken just inside the Alcuin half, which James Lewis managed to loft over the defence and a hapless Alcuin goalkeeper in what was a bizarre, David Seaman-esque display between the sticks.

Alcuin managed to stem the tide, though, with Jack McConnell running through and then flicking the ball over the Goodricke keeper in what was arguably one of the few moments today in which Alcuin showed some of the football that they are capable of.

With such a dominant first half display, Goodricke were not about to let Alcuin enter the break with something to play for in the second half. The insatiable pair of James Lewis and Matt Jeffery again combined with a great cross and even better header into the top left corner of the goal to give Goodricke a 4-1 lead going into the break.

Goodricke continued to dominate once play resumed, with another goal coming from another James Lewis cross which met the head of Connor Boyle and, subsequently, the back of the net to the delight of the Goodricke bench, giving the impression that this was a rare occurrence for the midfielder.

Despite a consolation goal from a Picker header, Alcuin’s performance on an increasingly chilly Sunday afternoon was summed up when a throw-in sailed over their nonplussed defence but unfortunately Goodricke could not capitalise. Billy Bruce then proceeded to rattle the crossbar with a terrific outside-the-box effort and get the ball stuck in the fence, giving the Alcuin keeper yet another problem on a day to forget.

Connor Boyle would personify the antithesis of the “lightning never strikes twice” adage with a strike from outside the box into the bottom corner of an Alcuin goal that saw a lot of action today.

Saying Alcuin were lethargic today would be quite an understatement. Luck was on Goodricke’s side as they faced a team who already have one eye on the Christmas turkey after having already secured a top 4 finish last week.

That’s not to take away from a Goodricke side who finally showed some attacking flair, and glimpses of what they are capable of. The trio of Bruce, Lewis and Jeffery can be a handful at times and it would have been a shame if they had suffered relegation.

Maybe next term some of the quality on show here today may carry the Greens higher up the league.

Goodricke: Woolley, Thomas, Carmichael, Anderson, Duffin, Lithur, Boyle, Sides, Lewis, Bruce, Jeffery. Subs: Tandy, Courtney.

Alcuin: Richardson, Kennick, Turner, Picker, Houlgate, Barrie, Fernando, McConnell, Nestor, McClarty, Garn. Subs: Harget, Sarin, Perera.

MOTM: Connor Boyle