Four fire engines were called out to campus after a fire broke out in a Wentworth College accommodation block earlier today.
The fire service also sent an Aerial Ladder Platform to the scene, arriving at 6:27pm, where fire crews required breathing apparatus to tackle the fire.
The fire was caused by an unattended electrical appliance left in the kitchen of Building C2, Flat 6.
The fire was extinguished at approximately 6:30pm.
There was very little damage to property and all block residents were safely evacuated.
Fire in @UniOfYork accommodation block now extinguished by Fire Crews from York, Acomb and Huntington. Fire investigation to start soon.
— North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service (@NorthYorksFire) December 28, 2015
David Duncan, the University Secretary and Registrar told Vision “The incident is being thoroughly investigated by the University’s Health and Safety team.”