Dubious penalty decision grants Halifax win over Derwent

Halifax storm to win over Derwent
Halifax storm to win over Derwent

By Tim Drew

Halifax 1’s vs Derwent 2’s

Halifax: Chadli (20) (80), Tester (68 pen).

Derwent: Connor (32).

Derwent 2’s took on the 1’s of Halifax, with both teams looking to end their successful seasons with a win on the last day. Halifax controlled large portions of the game with quick possession play involving Tester and Chadli providing the opportunity for Halifax to attack.

It was not long before Halifax took advantage of their dominance in midfield as a shot in the 18th minute was rebounded out to striker Omar Chadli who slotted a composed shot into the corner of the net- 1:0.

Dernent showed some resilience in trying to get back in the game, winning a free kick in a dangerous position outside the box, which was fired just over. As the rain began to fall on yet another freezing afternoon, Derwent continued to work with Euan Bell putting some solid tackles in the centre of midfield and Farage shooting over from distance.

The equaliser came slightly against the run of play from the previous few minutes but captain Ryan Connor was in the right place at the right time to slot home, sending the impressive Derwent supporters into euphoria- 1:1.

Halifax instantly forced their way back into being the dominant team, hitting the post from a teasing ball from Tester and missing an open goal just before the halftime whistle.

The second half began much like the first ended with Halifax pressuring the Derwent goal, hitting the post for the third time from a corner. Derwent still had chances going their way, Farage trying to catch the stranded goalkeeper Basu out with a 40 yard effort. Wnek also had a slicing effort headed off the line in spectacular style.

Halifax pressure in the box lead to a penalty decision going their way, with minimal contact causing the Halifax player to go down. While players argued with the referee, captain Tester made it 2:1 with a strong strike.

Good saves from Derwent keeper Cooper kept Derwent in the game until the 80th minute when the impressive Chadli used his rapid pace to get passed the left of Derwent to slot home for his second- 3:1. A brace from Chadli made it 3 goals in two games after scoring for the York side in a BUCS clash on Wednesday.

The match pace slowed after the third, with the referee blowing for full time after a stale last 10 minutes, with Halifax coming away victorious.

The two captains spoke to me after the game on the successes and failures of their seasons.

Halifax – Tester

“I think we got better towards the end of the season, started to play some really good football. We played some great football at times throughout the season. We had two losses against Derwent and James, which we probably deserved to lose but hopefully next season we can play better as a whole team. Man of the season is hard to give so I’ll give it to the whole team.”

Derwent- Connor

“The season was fine, we stayed up which was our aim. We were unlucky with a lot of the decisions in some of our matches which cost us. We had a really bad start but brought it back for the last few games, especially with having to play a few makeshift teams. Man of the season has to be Stones.”