College Football: James 2-2 Wentworth

Wentworth took full advantage of a bad day at the office for James, recovering from a two goal deficit to earn a well-deserved point. They may feel  that they could have got more out of the game, dominating most of the possession and pushing for a winner right at the end.

With a large number of key players missing, James were allowed were little time on the ball in the opening stages with Wentworth in control and threatening to take an early lead. Right back Sam Nedley supplied a dangerous cross into the box, however there was no one in a position for the post graduates to get a shot on goal. This became a familiar frustration for Wentworth, unable to convert the chances they were creating and make the most of their pressure.

James were also guilty of missing chances that could and perhaps should have been goals, Wheldon and Jopson both coming close. James seemed a different team from recent outings, making mistakes at the back and allowing Wentworth in again; however to their relief the post graduates were again unable to take the lead. A fluid break from James provided the breakthrough, against the run of play, with striker Matt Singleton providing a perfect touch to lift a great through ball over the head of Wentworth keeper Jon Cook.

Moments later Jopson doubled James’ lead with a strong finish from the edge of the box. Wentworth were  unlucky to have gone two down after being the better team for much of the first half, but were still unable to capitalize on their pressure and create clear cut chances. Finally, they deservedly clawed a goal back when Chris Papoui’s deflected shot crept into the corner. James woke up after conceding and tried to re-establish their two goal lead with Jopson one on one with the keeper but he hit his shot wide.

Wentworth also had chances to level before half-time when the James defenders appeared to stop playing, calling for offside, with a number of players in good positions for Wentworth.  Wentworth couldn’t find the end product however. A somewhat flat second half followed, with Wentworth looking to equalise but both teams seemed to lose momentum. James had chances to finish the opposition off, with Spillsbury missing a great chance from close range.

It was Wentworth who once again began to dominate pressure, attacking fiercely. They were rewarded near the end of the match with a calm, professional finish from Conner Berry to make it two all and earn a well-deserved point for his side.

James captain Ameer Alhasan recognised his side’s poor performance, telling Vision “Personally I think we had enough to win the match but our performance on the day was pretty bad, however there’s still every reason to be optimistic for the College Cup”.