As a solo rapper and frontman of the band Paper Tiger, Raphael Attar finds no shortage of subjects to craft stunning lyrics around, including his enjoyment of walking, TV chef James Martin and talk show host Jeremy Kyle. His song ‘Gary Barlow‘ made minor tabloid waves and attracted the attentions and amusement of the Take That star himself. Attar’s latest full-length mixtape, World’s Greatest Everything, is out now and available to download and stream from Paper Tiger’s Bandcamp. He talks to York Vision about his ideal collab partner, his most treasured possession and his proudest moment. You can follow him on Twitter – @RaphaelAttar – and like his Facebook page.
1. If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be?
Kanye West. We’d make a concept double album about how we’re both amazing geniuses. And then we’d tour it with a hundred ballerinas, a philharmonic orchestra, a stage set in the form of a mountain and diamond covered masks.
2. Who would you choose to narrate an average day in your life?
An excitable seven-year old.
3. What is your most treasured possession?
My cape. It was made for me by my amazing costumier and features a triptych of panels depicting a friendly dinosaur, a robot firing lasers from its nipples and Gary Barlow.
4. Describe yourself in three words.
O. M. G.
5. If you could one solid piece of advice to Smaug, what would it be?
Nah, that dude’s got the right idea, I guess I’d just say “keep doing you son”
6. What is your best party trick?
I don’t need no tricks or no gimmicks when I’m partying. It’s not a game for me.
7. Who is your greatest hero?
Tim Key. He’s the reason I stopped writing poetry. I have to constantly fight the urge to just rip him off at every turn.
8. If you were a biscuit, what biscuit would you be and why?
A Jaffa Cake cos Jaffa Cakes are delicious, and also because I like annoying pedants.
9. What’s the ultimate message you’d want to get across in your music?
I reject the premise of this question.
10. What are your thoughts on illegal downloading of music and how it affects the music industry?
I do it. I think people shouldn’t do it to me. Although, thinking about it, most of my material is available online for free anyway. Someone smarter than me’ll figure something out. Streaming will kill downloading soon anyway. Then money will become irrelevant and we’ll all be living in space, or a post-apocalyptic wasteland or something.
11. What’s the worst song you’ve ever heard?
That Calvin Harris and Rihanna song. Just thinking about it now is making me quite angry.
12. What’s your biggest fear?
13. What was the last film you watched and why?
Imaginaerum, cos it’s what started playing when we clicked the link that said “Ender’s Game”. Don’t watch that film.
14. Who would play you in the film of your life?
Probably Matthew McConaughey innit, he’s in everyfuckingthing at the moment.
15. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
The devil on my shoulder says mind control but I’ll take the high road and go with teleportation. There’s a lot to be said for convenience.
16. What are you most proud of?
The sick burn I delivered to Kelvin Rhodes from stage at Kendal Calling 2012.
17. What is your favourite food?
The ankle bits you get at the bottom of the drumstick on a roast chicken. People just leave them!
18. If you were to throw a themed party, what would the theme be?
House Party. I’ve thought about it quite a lot.
19. If a zombie outbreak were to happen today, would you be alive by the end of this week?
Definitely not. I’m unfit, ill-prepared and I live in an area with a very high population density. My plan is basically to get wasted and see what happens.
20. Lastly, if you could say something inspirational to 15,000 people, what would it be?
Hey guys, you should all totally check out my new mixtape World’s Greatest Everything. It’s available RIGHT NOW at Paper Tiger’s Bandcamp and you can pay what you like for it.