1 in 4 takeaways dangerous, study finds

A new study has found that more than a quarter of takeaway meals may be contaminated with nuts. North Yorkshire County Council initiated the tests of 47 samples across the county and found that 1 in 4 contained traces of peanuts.

The major study was launched following the death of a bar manager connected to improper signposting of menu items containing nuts.

Paul Wilson, 38, was found dead at the Oak Tree Inn pub in Helperby, after eating an Indian takeaway meal from the Indian Garden restaurant, based in Easingwold. The curry dish was found to have contained peanuts, when he had in fact requested a dish containing almonds.

Two men were arrested in connection with the inquiry. A York student told Vision; “As a nut allergy sufferer and regular buyer of take-aways this really shocks me.

“To think these people don’t care if people could end up in hospital or be killed is just appalling”.

About one per cent of Britons have peanut allergies, with varying degrees of severity.