Happy old men: Wentworth make history

[visiongallery set=72157632972077251]

Photos: Jack Western

Wentworth ended the term in style at the 3G on Sunday as they thoroughly defeated Vanbrugh, claiming the spring term college football crown. Over the last year or two, the perennial whipping boys of college football have grown into a strong side. This victory completes the journey. Once also-rans, but no more.

It is no fluke. Wentworth have been one of the more consistent teams this year, even more so this term. They recorded four wins out of five, the only dropped points coming courtesy of two wonder-goals by Halifax.

They have also shown themselves adaptable. They may be known as one of the more physical sides in college football, but on Sunday there were few signs of that. They played proper football, passed the ball well and three of the four goals came from flowing moves. The smooth surface of the 3G certainly helped, but Wentworth were more than capable of playing to the conditions.

Vanbrugh, on the other hand, squandered their chance of winning the term’s league. They knew only a win would make them the champions, but their performance must surely have come as a disappointment. They had little going forward, with striker Elliot Ross uninvolved in most of the game.

The Wentworth defence must be given credit for this. The back four and two holding midfield players snuffed out the Vanbrugh threat whenever it arose. Vanbrugh were restricted to long range efforts, and even those were few and far between. It took until the 87th minute for the first shot on target to be recorded, Phil Taylor’s effort being collected by Wentworth keeper Jon Cook with ease.

While Vanbrugh had little going forward, that cannot be said for Wentworth who proved dangerous both on the counter-attack and when in controlled possession of the ball. They scored two fantastic goals, and if anything they could have added more to their final tally of four.

The tone for the game was set in the first few minutes as Wentworth applied the early pressure. They set a high defensive line, which meant that whenever Vanbrugh cleared the ball they soon found themselves once again on the back foot. Vanbrugh attempted to keep hold of possession by passing along the back four, but as soon as the ball moved further forward, the postgraduates invariably regained the ball.

In the 16th minute, the pressure told as Wentworth made the breakthrough. James Wilson’s goal kick was met by a Wentworth boot in the centre circle, resulting in the ball looping over the defence to set up Tim Martin. Martin kept his composure and slotted the ball past Wilson to make it 1-0.

To say it was one-sided would be unfair to both sides. Vanbrugh did start to have more possession and territory after falling 1-0 behind, and a couple of half-chances, though little of note. But Wentworth smothered them at every turn, and did not give an inch all game. Vanbrugh were not on the top of their game, but Wentworth were never complacent and went for the jugular.

In the 36th minute, their lead was doubled thanks to Dom Green’s header. Credit for the goal must go to Greg Harrison, however. Some neat passing in the Vanbrugh half set up Harrison on the right hand side. He had plenty of space and time and delivered a terrific cross, on a tee for Green who was lingering in the penalty area. From such close range, there was little Wilson could do to stop the powerful header, though he did get a hand to it. It was not enough, and Wentworth led 2-0.

The only controversial moment came shortly before the interval. Cook came charging out of Wentworth goal to deal with a Vanbrugh move up the right wing. Out of his area, he clearly handled the ball. The referee, who had a generally good game, gave the free kick, but did not send Cook off. This appeared to be a fair decision, considering the position of the handball, and how it appeared to be accidental.

The second half saw Wentworth consolidate their lead, with Vanbrugh continuing to find it difficult to penetrate their defences. An injury to centre back Harry O’Brien forced him off the field. Tom Parish replaced him, but a rejig of formation was required. Vanbrugh appeared to go to three at the back, a necessary change with a win imperative, but one which left them open.

In the 71st minute, this proved the case as Wentworth made it three. Theo Dominion crossed from the left, finding Dave Clinton in the penalty area. Clinton’s first touch set up the ball perfectly; he turned and rifled a shot inside the far post on the volley with his second.

The third goal spelled game over for Vanbrugh, but there was still time for Wentworth to grab a fourth. Dominion’s corner in the 81st minute was cleared, but at the second attempt the substitute found an unmarked Ian Parker in the six yard box. All he had to do was touch it into the net.

And in truth it could have been more. Martin and Green each had a goal ruled out, for offside and a foul respectively. While Taylor’s speculative effort late on, with the score 4-0, was the only time Vanbrugh made Cook make a save. The 4-0 scoreline was a fair reflection of the gulf between the two sides on the day.