College Cup Final: Vanbrugh 1sts 1-1 Halifax 1sts (Vanbrugh win 5-4 on pens)

[visiongallery set=72157630284720034/with/7442170206]

Photos: Tom Wooldridge & TK Rohit

Vanbrugh 1sts claimed the 2012 College Cup with a penalty shootout victory over holders Halifax 1sts following a tense 1-1 affair in normal time.

Vanbrugh snatched the lead two minutes into the second half through a well placed Phil Taylor strike but Ash Daly’s deserved 57th minute equaliser took the game to penalties.

It was the underdogs who held their nerve from the spot. Tom Day had Halifax’s first effort saved and Vanbrugh capitalised. Jon Gill, Rory Sharkey, James Wilson and Phil Taylor all beat Jonny Sim before Kieran O’Dwyer stepped up and sent his winning effort low into the bottom left to send the Vanbrugh support wild.

The game itself had been typical of a final – both sides were tense and more wary of making a mistake than desperate to forge chances. Vanbrugh’s opener was the only opportunity created from open play, and it turned out to be their only shot on target.

After a cagey first half, they seized the lead early in the second. Elliot Ross battled with Jack Beadle and squeezed a ball through to Phil Taylor. Taylor took it in his stride and shaped his body to curl an effort past Sim into the far corner, before deceiving the ‘keeper and slotting his strike in at the near post to give his side the lead.

Halifax controlled the game in terms of possession but were unable to break Vanbrugh down. Ziggy Heath was imperious at the back; he and Graham kept Halifax strikers Tom Day and Hamish Denham relatively quiet whilst Johnny Grout broke up the play from his holding midfield role.

They were limited to the occasional long range effort in the first half. Denham had a strike comfortably stopped by Wilson and Pilides sliced a strike horribly wide.

Vanbrugh did not come much closer in the first half. Ben Stanier glanced a header wide from a Sharkey cross and Phil Taylor missed the target with a free-kick before he claimed his second half opener.

It was the only opportunity they created in the second half – Vanbrugh seemed content to sit on their lead and keep ‘Fax at a distance.

The closest they came to an equaliser was an Ash Daly free-kick that curled just over the bar and a half-volley from captain Jack Beadle that whistled just wide of the upright before Daly did manage to level the scores three minutes from time.

With the game so bogged down in midfield it was always likely that Halifax would have to rely on Hamish Denham’s long throw to provide a goal, and it played a large part in the equaliser.

James Wilson punched the throw away but only as far as Daly just outside the area. The midfielder controlled the ball on his chest before firing high past the Vanbrugh ‘keeper to level the scores.

The equaliser gave the game a late lease of life, with neither side seemingly fancying penalties. Both sides played with a newfound urgency for the final three minutes but the defences remained on top and the game drew to its inevitable conclusion, and penalties.

Tom Day took first for Halifax but had his effort well saved by Wilson before Jon Gill found the very bottom corner for Vanbrugh.

Ash Daly, Hamish Denham, Gio Pilides and Jonny Williamson were all successful for Halifax but Sharkey, Wilson, Taylor and O’Dwyer matched their efforts, leaving ‘Fax despondent and Vanbrugh the jubilant champions.

“It was a crazy game,” said Vanbrugh captain James Wilson. “Obviously no one deserves to go out on penalties and it’s tough for ‘Fax. It was a really good game. No one tipped us to win but I always believed in our team – I’m so pleased to have won the College Cup! There’ll be a few beers tonight!”

A visibly gutted Jack Beadle commented: “I’m very disappointed to lose on a penalty shootout. I’m very proud of all our boys, I couldn’t ask any more.”

Vision MOTM: Ziggy Heath

One thought on “College Cup Final: Vanbrugh 1sts 1-1 Halifax 1sts (Vanbrugh win 5-4 on pens)

1. Gow playing for Halifax? leave it out. (take it he stepped up cos Gio couldn’t handle the nerves?)