Halifax footballers in disgrace after ‘rampage’

All second and third years in Halifax Football Club have been banned from league action this term following incidents which took place on their annual ‘World Tour’ social at the end of last year.

According to York Sport President Charlotte Winter, the footballers caused “substantial damage” to The Courtyard, as well as the library, during their annual “rampage” around campus.

Winter continued: “There were also a number of other incidents during this period which meant that for a prolonged period our security were having to attend to these matters rather than be available for any other issues which may have been occurring on campus.

“For this reason Halifax second and third years have received a ban. ‘World Tours’ are now banned and if any do take place further punishments will be enforced.”
Vision understands Deputy-Vice Chancellor Jane Grenville made the final decision to enforce the ban.

However, she was unable to provide any further details on their actions, stating: “We have to protect the reputation of the University. If there are any further problems, unless the responsible individuals are identified or come forward, the ban will extend to the whole university career of each second, third and fourth year member of Halifax FC.”

An unnamed source told Vision that the footballers’ behaviour in D-Bar was acceptable this year, unlike the previous ‘World Tour’ when staff members were egged.

There are also a host of unconfirmed allegations against the team which include vandalising a security officer’s car and abusive behaviour towards other students.

Halifax first team captain, Matt Darling, told Vision: “I wasn’t on the social that night so I cannot comment on what happened. But whatever happened is not condoned by any of the current captains and we are all working hard with the University to find the culprit.”

Fellow footballer Dave Lewis said: “People are trying to get hold of some footballers who were freshers last year and didn’t actually play football but came on all the socials.”

Another added: “I didn’t get involved in anything outrageous or against the rules. The social isn’t meant to be a forum to vandalise the University at all; it’s meant to be fun. But some individuals just get drunk and stupid and give it a bad name.”

The ‘World Tour’ is an annual event for the club which involves members going around campus completing a variety of challenges, both in bars and elsewhere.

The incident is the latest in a history of problems connected to the infamous Halifax ‘World Tour’ social. Last year, several footballers swam in the University lake and threw a chair down the library stairwell, and in 2010 a number of students and staff were verbally abused in the library, books were stolen from shelves and beer was spilled on the carpet.

Although Halifax played a friendly match against James during the Sunday of week 3 on 22 Acres, further such matches have been banned by York Sport in an attempt to increase the severity of the punishment.

2 thoughts on “Halifax footballers in disgrace after ‘rampage’

1. Never read so much tripe than Dave Washington’s section. Absolute drivel! Know what your talking about first mate…

2. After the rampage they caused last year, including the harassment they caused to PantSoc, I’m glad these hooligans are getting what they deserve. As a witness to their attack on PantSoc’s storage tent and subsequent dive into the lake, I can assure you it wasn’t one “culprit”, it was a group of at least 15 drunken idiots, who felt that being drunk and intimidating was a great way to spend the night.