Varsity men’s basketball: York 67-47 Hull

[visiongallery set=72157629095330262]

Photos: Kathy Burke

York were a class above as they comprehensively beat their Hull opponents by twenty points in an impressive performance.

The match started as it meant to go on, as York scored the first points, with Cameron Lange and Andreas Boedt looking threatening. Hull were not to be blown away, however, and fought toe to toe for the entirety of the first quarter as the score at the start of the second was at a tight 14-13.

Hull began the second quarter strongly, even taking the lead at one point. Yet, unfortunately for the visitors this was the only time the scoreboard would show them as ahead, and Baedt seemed intent on enforcing York’s superiority with a succession of baskets.

Lange also looked hungry for baskets and by the end of the second quarter, York had extended the lead to ten points, finishing the first half on 33-23. It was an authoritative end to the first half and Hull were left reeling.

The third quarter began slowly but Hull were consistently kept at arm’s length despite some tougher resistance from the visiting team. Their discipline began to wane, however, and soon they had reached five team fouls, meaning an increase in York’s free throws.

As the quarter progressed York looked more and more dangerous and were soon running away with the game, reaching 51-31 by the end of the third period. It was Lange and Boedt scoring most of the baskets but the team defended stoically and were quick to assist in offense.

The fourth quarter began the way the third had finished, with York very much in the ascendancy. Hull refused to roll over, however, and scored ten points in quick succession to bring the score to 63-47. The comeback was far too late, though, and as the final whistle blew, York were ahead by a margin of 20 points to make the final score 67-47.

It was a comprehensive victory with which captain Sam Bentley was absolutely delighted. He commented that he was “thoroughly pleased to get a twenty point win through a good overall team performance that will raise morale and stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.”