Staring into the abyss

Yesterday’s 2-1 defeat against ten-man Torquay leaves York City stricken at the foot of League Two, marooned in 23rd place and lingering in the relegation zone. Nigel Worthington’s arrival has failed to halt the alarming run of woeful results and York are now well and truly staring into the abyss.

Relegation out of the football league would be a significant blow for York after their excellent campaign last year. However after a good first half of the season which saw them comfortably sitting in mid-table, the side have embarked on a disastrous spiral down the table, as they have not won since New Years day.

Indeed heading into 2013 York had their sights set on a solid first season back in the football league, and a push for the playoffs looked more likely than becoming embroiled in a battle for survival. The past three months though have seen the club slip further and further down the table, and they now sit two points from safety with only Aldershot below them.

The form of other teams at the foot of the table such as Plymouth, AFC Wimbledon and Barnet has improved, and with only six games remaining the prospects for York seem decidedly bleak. The past two Saturdays have seen them slip to defeats against Port Vale and Torquay, two teams who themselves had been enduring their own recent struggles.

The 2-1 defeat against Torquay was a critical dent in York’s survival chances, but aids the fortunes of the ailing Devon club, who have managed to drag their way out of the relegation zone with two wins in the past week. How York could do with two wins in a week.

Time is now running out for York, and they must end this woeful run soon if they are to avoid relegation. Despite this all is not lost, as York still have crucial home games to come in the next two weeks against fellow strugglers Plymouth and Accrington Stanley, whilst their fate could well be decided on the final day of the season when they make the trip to Dagenham & Redbridge.

First up is a trip to play Bristol Rovers, and although the current situation is bleak for the Minstermen, all is not lost. York’s fate is still in their own hands, and they probably need at least three wins from their final six games to ensure their survival. At the moment though they are staring into the abyss.