Star on Campus: Tom Eames and Matt Bowman

Matt Bowman and Tom Eames are quite the double act. Both their sporting journeys led them into GB rowing territory and after a winning grant, the boys are determined to fulfil their rowing dreams.

How was this morning’s cycle?
Tom: Very wet. The flooding river is a shame as we need to train for BUCS (where the men’s squad is hoping to medal). Land training and getting on an erg (a rowing machine to everyone else) seems harder, although cycling is good preparation for summer – we are cycling to Barcelona for Teenage Cancer Trust.

Awesome. Are you excited for the term ahead? What key races should Vision look out for?
Tom: (jokingly): The sky is the limit! (An attitude clearly drilled in by men’s captain Sam Agass…). But seriously there are six races this term. The big race is the prestigious Henley Royal Regatta, on (27th June – 1st July). Last year the men’s squad were the fastest non–qualifier. This year we want to change that.
Matt: Agreed. We hope to pre-qualify for Henley. Training camp, where we were coaching by Olympians, and the way Sam has reshaped the men’s squad should increase our chances.

I’m really interested in the grant you have recently applied for, can you elaborate?
Matt: We got it! Well, we both filled out separate applications for a sports scholarship, but because we were both asking for the same thing – a pair (a two man boat), as the boathouse doesn’t have one, our applications were treated together. We have been given £4000 to look for a pair.

Congratulations, so how will the pair help?
Tom: Being in a double will enable us to focus on our technique as mistakes are more obvious! It will help the club too – giving us a platform to work off so that we can get better and trial for GB. Obviously a full time coach would be amazing too… (someone call the alumni?)

Is that your aim then for the next couple of years?
(They nod in unison) Matt: Yes, I would love to trial and represent GB under 23.

What would you say is the highlight of your rowing career thus far?Tom: Representing Great Britain at the under 16 tournament in Cardiff in a quad.
Matt: The Coupe European Championships, Great Britain under 18s. I won three gold medals and one silver which is pretty awesome.

Impressive stuff, so is this what motivates you to get out of bed at 6am?
Tom: Haha, yes. Plus there is always a decent chance you’ll have a good day. We also get Thursdays off – post Ziggy’s.
Matt: And you do it for your squad, they all have a 6am start too. UYBC is a great club to be part of, it pulls together in and out of the boat.

How do you feel about protein shakes?
Tom: Never taken them.
Matt: Same, and I never will. I eat every two hours, which is enough carbs to get me through the six days of training a week!

2 thoughts on “Star on Campus: Tom Eames and Matt Bowman

1. Hi there crew,

My name’s Gerald and I was just wondering (as one does), if squaring up earlier is actually better. I’ve never seen Pete Reed or my personal fav (L) Triggs Hodger (L) exhibit any inside wrist action around the knees?!? Just after your personal opinion boys; I’m just really unsure about the whole thing.

Best
    Gerald