College Cup: Vanbrugh 3rds 2-1 James 2nds

[visiongallery set=72157629796504822]

Photos: Adam Green

After James 2nds incredible win against Halifax 1sts last week, a win looked certain against a weaker Vanbrugh 3rds side. However, Vanbrugh came out fighting and left the group wide open with a 2-1 victory.

The game looked fairly even with both sides struggling to settle into the game. However, an unexpected goal by Vanbrugh changed the game. With the James defence struggling to clear their lines, Tom Fisher utilised his chance well and tapped the ball into the net to put Vanbrugh ahead.

This spurred James into action and they looked certain to equalise. James were denied a goal three times by the presence of a solid Kallum Taylor in net, stopping shots by Fisher and Ferrao in quick succession.

Still, Kirkwood in the James net would not let himself be outshone, stopping two promising shots by Poynter Hall and kept James in the game.

It was not long until James were rewarded for their efforts, with a superb cross from Yates finding Spurling’s head to equalise. James looked likely to score again with shots by Fisher and Spurling narrowly missing the back of the net.

With both sides on an equal footing at half time, it would take determination and gut for one team to push through for a win.

James looked frustrated as they pushed for a goal, but unfortunately they just couldn’t find the back of the net. Another first-class cross by Yates opened up the Vanbrugh defence and James were unlucky not to score with an O’Donoghue header.

Despite numerous James chances, it was Vanbrugh who finally found the back of the net. A defensive error meant that James Robinson was free to put Vanbrugh ahead 2-1, with less than five minutes left to play.

The game ended with jubilant celebrations from Vanbrugh. Vanbrugh Captain, Mark Lajca, and suited and booted manager, Michael Sutcliffe praised their team’s ‘great team spirit’. With everything up for grabs, Vanbrugh should be extremely proud of their performance.

James captain Andrew Yates commented that “We were unlucky in the first half not to go ahead, but with several class stops by Taylor we couldn’t have done much more.” He asserted that after their shock win last week they are “still looking to get into the later stages of the cup” and that they are going to pick themselves up for their game on Monday.

As you can see, anything can happen in group three.

Vanbrugh: Taylor, Lajca, Barnard, Frobisher, Howell, Knight, Poynter Hall, Fisher, Mason (Robinson), Lewis, Priest

James: Kirkwood, O’Donoghue, Hyde, Raper, Clarke, Sahi, Spurling, Fisher (Norman), Cooke, Ferrao, Yates.

Vision MOTM: Kallum Taylor