Regan rains supreme

DESPITE THE OVERCAST SKIES threatening a washout, York University’s annual sports day went ahead in the usual spirited fashion.

Results were important for many as the College cup reached its climax and several competing athletes produced impressive displays throughout the day. Winners Vanburgh triumphed with a net score of 76.5, ten points more than second-place Goodricke. Poor participation figures from Halifax hindered their results only managing a dismal sixth, whilst old-timers Wentworth did well to come eighth.

Previous winners Goodricke made sure they brought a decent crowd to cheer them on, even setting up a Goodricke gazebo to shelter under. Mocked by the other colleges, Goodricke had the last laugh when many piled in as the rain got heavy. Yet their dreams of a successive title were dashed by the dominant Vanbrugh, whose three-medal winner Jo Greetham did particularly well. Greetham jumped 3.9 metres in the women’s long jump to win gold and followed this with another first place in the 200m final and second place in the 100m final. Vanburgh’s win was a considerable improvement from last year’s fourth and was enough to put worrying pressure on Goodricke in the overall college standings.

College Cup winners Halifax were severely restricted by their lack of participants and were fortunate their lead overall was so strong. As the biggest college, it is surprising how few made it to the sports day. Halifax Sport Rep Emily Scott understands that many of the regular sports stars had valid excuses for not attending, but confesses that “Apathy does seem to be an issue”. Attempts to persuade the students in Halifax were apparently in vain reveals Scott, “It got so desperate that I was on the phone to anyone from Halifax trying to persuade them to run, but often got the same answer along the lines of “I hate athletics”!”. Unfortunately, participation equals points; Colleges entering most of the races were rewarded with extra points. “Managing to field a full side for sports day was probably the deciding factor in gaining us that crucial second place” agrees Goodricke Sports Rep Laura Longworth.

Perhaps the low attendance was due to the dark clouds that loomed over York all day. Those committed enough to compete, stubbornly refused to let the rain halt proceedings. Some even preferred it; 100m winner Oliver Regan agreed that “the weather doesn’t help” but believes he does “better in these kinds of conditions than other people”. Sadly, the British weather got the better of the organisers and the competition was forced to finish early. The remaining races were decided by the times recorded in the heats, which included both the men’s and women’s 200m final, and the 4x100m relay. Sports day relays are worth double points and considering the likelihood of mistakes in changeover; the final result could have been very different. Sports rep Nick Waite agrees, “I think that if the rain hadn’t intervened we would have increased the point’s difference”.

The miserable weather wasn’t the only problem for competitors as York kept up its reputation for rubbish sports facilities. Bird excrement littered the track and the strange decision to only have seven lanes marked out caused extra heats and was another factor in the backlog of races. However, despite its dire need of a makeover, the expansion into Heslington East and a cut in the sports budget are clear signs that any developments in the near future are unlikely. Goodricke Sports rep Laura Longworth remains positive; “it’s the same for everyone and, at the end of the day, we’re not Olympic athletes and it really doesn’t affect our performance”, nonetheless she admits that “Having said all that, [the] goose poo did put me off the long jump rather!”

Regardless of the setbacks, York’s unyielding athletes persevered and made sure the rain didn’t dampen their spirits. Tug of war added a bit of immature fun and some even dressed in outlandish garments. One male shot-putter brightened up his event by arriving in a fetching pair of purple tights. Credit imust also go to James’ Martin Proctor who threw himself over the finishing line in a celebratory forward roll after finishing an exhausting 3000m run.

Another year, another rain soaked uni event, and another win that still can’t deny Halifax the College cup win. Sports day confirms that the collegiate system is still worthwhile and proves that a poo-swamped circle of gravel can still be used as a university racetrack.

Those thinking of entering for their college next year should muse on the motivational words of 100m winner Oliver Regan “It’s about each individual race, you’ve got to do it: whoever you get, you’ve got to run quicker than them”.