College Netball: Alcuin win the league

[visiongallery set=72157629198105914]

Photos: Kathy Burke

Alcuin smashed their two biggest competitors yesterday, James and Halifax, in the bid to come top of the college netball league and represent York at Roses, winning 20-9, and 17-12 respectively.

Alcuin vs Halifax kicked off at 2.30, and all was to play for. Alcuin dominated the first quarter, scoring within the first two minutes of the game, and then proceeding to score again, taking Halifax’s centre advantage. A string of constant goals saw the Alcuin shooters, Amy Moye and Charlotte Winter determined to match one another shot for shot.

The defensive pair Jacqui Mellows and Amy Finch guarded their circle fiercely, blocking out the Halifax shooters. Halifax, however, did not give up without a fight; in the second half the game was more evenly matched. The ball remained primarily in the middle of the court, as opposed to the shooting ends, but Alcuin just held the upper hand, especially with centre Catherine O’Mahony dominating the middle part of the court.

Alcuin then had an hour break to reset before the James match. James have had a strong season, building on the success of their triumphant first term.

The game started well for Alcuin, the shooting pair moving around the circle well and scoring a stream of goals. The James shooting pair; Rachel Bunce and Tessa Russell matched this; when the ball did venture to their third of the court, their shooting was on top form. Russell in particular had a fantastic technique. They faced tough competition from the Alcuin defence, and despite being ill Milly Harvey, as GK, was adamant to reach for every ball. Following the pattern of the first match, Alcuin again had a stronger first half; ending it with the score at 11-5.

For a non-contact sport, the match was an aggressive one culminating in the injury of O’Mahony, who was taken out in the second half. James’ pressure increased in the second half, and a tactical substitution put Alex Whitehand at C who provided a greater challenge to O’Mahony. However, it wasnt enough to conquer Alcuin and the final score was 17-12.