College Cup: Langwith 2nds 3-2 Wentworth 1sts

[visiongallery set=72157629742260310]

Photos: TK Rohit

Langwith 2nds put in a spirited display to record a surprise 3-2 victory over Wentworth 1sts.

The men in yellow were out to prove that their much praised display against Derwent 1sts last week was no fluke, and they did so in emphatic fashion here. They twice held off Wentworth fightbacks before James Macdonald slotted home the winner that clinched a deserved three points for the underdogs.

The game started scrappily with both sides struggling to inject any flow into their game. Langwith were the first to gain any real sight of goal. Left-back Bruce Starkey played a ball in from deep which sailed over Wentworth ‘keeper Colin Hill’s head and struck the post. Donovan’s strike from the rebound was blocked before the ball fell to Langwith captain Craig Burnell. One-on-one with the ‘keeper, Burnell was unable to finish however, as he struck the ball straight at Hill and Wentworth escaped unharmed.

Wentworth started to take control of the game but struggled to create any chances, it was Langwith who had all the opportunities, and they had the ball in the net around twenty minutes in. There was no goal however, as it was Will Prescott’s long throw that evaded everyone to end up in the back of the net.

The men in yellow were beginning to show promise, with Andy Doyle impressive in his role in front of the back four. They almost took the lead through and own goal after a mix up in the Wentworth defence, and Macdonald’s follow-up effort was cleared off the line to keep the scores at 0-0.

The momentum had now swung in their favour however, and Langwith deservedly took the lead in stunning fashion just before half time.

A poor goal kick from Hill went straight to Langwith winger Jack Donovan, and with the ‘keeper off his line, Donovan struck an ambitious 40 yard strike straight back over Hill’s head and into the top corner to make it 1-0 and send the support wild.

Wentworth started the second period with intent but again looked toothless in attack. It was Langwith who created the first chance of the half when a surging run from Bruce Starkey set up Sam Rooney, who couldn’t find the net.

Wentworth needed a lift, and it came in the form of the aptly named Tom Redhead, who sparked into life in the second half.

The midfielder saw a fantastic strike cannon off the post before he snatched the equaliser in unlikely fashion, looping a corner over the head of Ollie Williamson in the Langwith goal and into the back of the net.

This kick-started a flurry of goals, and Wentworth were looking hungry. Redhead almost gave his side the lead with a long range strike which just beat the post before Langwith quelled the Wentworth rejuvenation in emphatic fashion.

Danny Mullen collected the ball facing his own goal and turned his man, before firing powerfully past Hill to make it 2-1.

Before long, however, Wentworth were level again. Again it was Redhead who kept his side in the tie, rolling the ball into the bottom corner with not long to play.

Langwith were not to be beaten. The side who have been known in the past to suffer the consequences of letting their heads drop did exactly the opposite here, and battled their way to victory.

Danny Mullen slipped striker James Macdonald through on goal. His first effort was parried away by Hill but Macdonald made no mistake the second time, collecting the rebound and slotting home from a tight angle to restore Langwith’s lead and make it 3-2.

Wentworth pushed for yet another equaliser but Langwith were strong enough to see out the game and recorded their first three points of the tournament.

The winning goal left injured captain Craig Burnell literally hopping with excitement, and he said after the game; “We showed that it wasn’t just one game where we can play good football.”

Vision MOTM: Andy Doyle

One thought on “College Cup: Langwith 2nds 3-2 Wentworth 1sts