College Cup Hockey: Group 1 Round 1

The College Cup for hockey got underway this afternoon with the first round of matches, as Goodricke 1sts provided the most devastating performance in Group 1, dismantling Langwith 2nds by scoring eleven times. Meanwhile Halifax recorded victory over arch rivals James College, and a stunning match between Derwent 1sts and Alcuin 1sts ended all square.

Goodricke 1sts turned in an absolutely dominant performance as Langwith 2nds were beaten comprehensively 11-2, with Alex McDonald and vice captain Hannah Roper both helping themselves to hattricks for Goodricke. The team from Heslington East started the game brightly and found themselves three goals up within the first few minutes. Langwith hit back through Jed-Warwick Mooney who scored a nice goal after a good assist from Henrietta Temple. It was however only a small spark as Goodricke soon scored two more goals to go into half-time 5-1.

Langwith started the second half brightly and had two very good chances but Guy Bennett failed to finish. McDonald then completed his hattrick with the 6th Goodricke goal. Vice Captain Roper helped herself to a second half hattrick as well before Bennett finally had his goal but it was too little too late. Langwith captain Jamie Hanna was philosophical about the loss and said, “The number of players bleeding shows the commitment of the team but sometimes the wind doesn’t flow your way.” The win was a good sign for Goodricke who at times struggled in the previous two terms, and promises much for their future fixtures.

After the fierce rivalry between the two teams in the college cup won by James, the encounter between Halifax 1sts and James 2nds was eagerly anticipated, with some big names representing both sides. After a tight first half, Halifax romped to victory in the second half. Halifax looked sharper in the early stages, and some good passing resulted in Dong Oh-Shin being free in the D to slot home two goals. However, this early setback prompted James into life and two goals were snatched back to level things, with some great movement upfront by Katie Ashcroft.

Both teams started the second half looking for goals, but with the fantastic Joe Lancaster orchestrating things in midfield, Halifax scored a succession of goals and opened up a 6-2 lead. James launched a series of attacks on the Halifax defence, but great defensive work by Alex Francis and Hannah Boyne maintained Halifax’s substantial lead. Meanwhile effective team play resulted in Halifax scoring two more goals. As players began to tire, a break down the wing by Chris Butterworth resulted in a consolation goal for James College, but the result was not in doubt, as Halifax got off to a great start in the college cup.

The third game of the group ended in a thrilling 5-5 draw between Alcuin 1sts and Derwent 1sts, as the goals flowed on the JLD Astro. Alcuin took the lead through the graft of Tom Sherwood, but Derwent were the better side in the first half, and at the break deservedly led 5-3, with four goals from an excellent Chris Daniel, and another from the threatening Jack Bradshaw. In the meantime Sherwood had grabbed his second, whilst Emmett also found the net.

After a very open first half, Alcuin reorganised, tightening up defensively, with Dave Washington and the superb Jamie Randall preventing any further Derwent goals. Derwent were still dangerous going forward, but goals from Sherwood who completed his hattrick, and Emmett who was well found by Washington, completed the comeback for Alcuin. In the end Alcuin almost nicked it as Sherwood and Catherine O’Mahony, almost found a winner for Alcuin. A draw was probably a fair result, as both teams battled hard, and will look to claim victory next week in what appears a tough group.

Vision MOTD: Alex McDonald

One thought on “College Cup Hockey: Group 1 Round 1

1. Many Thanks as well to Chris Butterworth for assisting in putting together this article