College Cup: Halifax 4ths 3-2 Vanbrugh 2nds

[visiongallery set=72157629663437390]

Photos: TK Rohit

The Halifax 4ths overcame a two-goal deficit to record a stunning 3–2 win against Vanbrugh 2nds to get their campaign off to a flying start.

A header from Max Brewer and a penalty from Callum Woodall put Vanbrugh in the driving seat and, leading 2–0 at half-time, they looked on course to take all three points.

However, a goal from Graham Jones gave Halifax hope, then super-sub Alec Rieck scored twice from two shots on goal to snatch victory for Halifax in what was an enthralling contest.

Vanbrugh looked the better team early on, and a good spell of pressure was rewarded with a goal, as Callum Woodall’s cross was met by Max Brewer, who found space to loop a header over a helpless Connor Tait.

Not long afterwards, Vanbrugh found themselves two goals up, when a perceived push by Raj Bains on Tom Parish gave away a penalty, which Woodall converted, to douse Halifax spirits before the break.

However, Halifax started the second half more brightly, and a series of brilliant saves from Vanbrugh’s Tom Williams kept Halifax at bay.

But when what looked like a poor Halifax corner was not cleared, Graham Jones was quickest to react, and rifled a shot into the bottom corner.

Alec Riek came on in an inspired substitution, and after Halifax won a free-kick on the left wing, he sidefooted the dead ball past Williams, making it 2–2. S

Seconds later, the ball broke to Rieck on the right wing; he drove in his second and Halifax’s third to spark scenes of jubilation and seal a spectacular comeback.