College Cup: Halifax 2nds 7-0 Derwent 3rds

[visiongallery set=72157629985944320]

Photos: Oliver Todd

Halifax 2nds cruelly exploited Derwent 3rds weaknesses in last of the fourth round of games in Group 4.

Goals from Dave Lewis, Tom Patrickson, Hamish Denham and braces from both Jake Mundy and Fraser Moyle took advantage of slack Derwent defending as Halifax overwhelmed their opposition with their expansive style leaving the result never in doubt.

Lewis gave Halifax an early lead, volleying home a Matt Darling corner, before Patrickson doubled the lead within a couple of minutes, nodding home unmarked direct from a Hamish Denham long throw. It was an impressive start that set the tone for the rest of the hour, with Derwent barely mustering a shot on target.

Jake Mundy soon made it 3-0, following on from his hat-trick against Wentworth 3rds last week. Finding himself on the end of a through ball from out-wide, he outmuscled his marker before slotting into the bottom corner with a toe poke past ‘keeper Sam Colclough.

Mundy made it 4-0 with a sweet strike that flew into the same corner from the edge of the box, and sent Derwent in at half-time embarrassed and with a damage limitation exercise to follow in the second half.

Derwent’s inability to deal with Halifax’s crosses from out wide and their movement in the box was costing them dearly, and soon after the break they gave a great example of it, Denham escaping the attentions of his market to bundle home after Moyle’s original shot was saved well by Colclough.

Rare forages forward for Derwent were led by the curly-haired Bordignon and substitute Louis Glassar, who spent the majority of the time with their backs to goal and were wasteful with the little possession they did muster.

Halifax’s sixth and seventh strikes, both from Moyle made the scoreline all the more impressive with 15 minutes left to play. The first came from another Denham long throw, whilst his second came from a Denham cross, with Colclough left exposed by poor marking in an overloaded penalty area.

Halifax weren’t stepping off the gas just yet though. Colclough denied Moyle his hat-trick, before Mundy headed another Denham long throw over the top. Luke Stevenson saw two long shots saved whilst John Lord had an effort from yet another corner cleared off the line.

Derwent were plucky towards the end but their poor defending against Halifax’s front four had the scoreline well beyond doubt by that time.

Halifax ‘keeper captain Dean Hanson, who was an untroubled spectator throughout told Vision: “It was a great performance. We passed, closed down well and didn’t step off them. It sets us up for a huge game next week against Vanbrugh to see who qualifies.”

Halifax 2nds go into the final round of games sitting in 2nd place behind Vanbrugh 1sts. Derwent 3rds meanwhile saw their qualification for the plate confirmed earlier in the day and will now contest the second tier competition.

Vision’s MOTM: Jake Mundy – an excellent performance capped by two fine goals, although realistically this could’ve gone to any of Halifax’s front four.