College Cup: Goodricke 1sts 1-0 Derwent 2nds

[visiongallery set=72157629786583636]
Having been docked two points for not providing a referee for the Halifax 2nds versus Alcuin 2nds match earlier in the week, Derwent 2nds still find themselves firmly rooted at the bottom of group three after going down to a menacing Goodricke side.

After a scrappy opening few minutes, with play largely being conducted in the air, Goodricke had the first half chance of the game, Luke Parker blasting a shot over the bar from the edge of the area.

Goodricke then almost opened up an early lead, a Luke Inness free-kick just evading the runners at the back post. Soon, however, Derwent had their first opportunity on goal, Jake Farrell’s cross-field ball finding Mike Whittall who controlled nicely but put his effort past the right post.

Goodricke then had another opportunity to open their account, Dave Bullock playing a great ball into Sam Lewis who headed straight at Derwent ‘keeper Sam Colclough, as they then began to pile pressure on their opponents. This was followed by a bullet header from Inness, from a James Gutteridge corner, which cannoned off the bar. Then, a curling Lewis free-kick was saved by Colclough before the same player flashed an effort past the post a minute later.

Goodricke had largely dominated the first half; it was a wonder they had not broken the deadlock. The second half started as the first had ended, Inness almost getting on the end of a Bullock free-kick. Yet, Derwent then had a chance of their own, but Farrell shot straight at Goodricke ‘keeper Ed Foster after the ball broke to him from a Harry Lambert throw-in.

Goodricke then finally converted an opportunity, Bullock playing a peach of a ball to Lewis at the edge of the box who finished coolly past Colclough low into the right corner. After a brief spell of Derwent pressure, Goodricke’s linchpin Sam Cottingham playing an inch-perfect ball to Lewis, but he dragged his shot wide of the left post.

Derwent had some possession in the latter stages of the game, but failed to convert this into any clear-cut chances. Goodricke meanwhile went on to strike the woodwork twice in the last ten minutes of the match: a Gutteridge effort being tipped onto the bar by Colclough and a Christian Hammer strike smacking against the upright. Particular credit is also due to the Derwent defence for keeping the scoreline at 1-0.

Post match, Derwent Captain John Gow commented: “I was happy with the performance; we just didn’t have the luck of the draw today.” Goodricke captain Matt Thomas was also pleased with his side’s performance but admitted “the win could have been more comfortable.”

Vision MOTM: Dave Bullock

One thought on “College Cup: Goodricke 1sts 1-0 Derwent 2nds

1. It says Luke Parker had a shot that went over the bar. However Luke Parker wasn’t playing. I think it may have been Luke Inness.