College Cup: Alcuin 2nds 1-1 Langwith 1sts

[visiongallery set=72157629680552740]
Having a number of chances to put the game to bed, Langwith was left ruing missed opportunities as Alcuin equalised with their only clear-cut opportunity in the match.

It was Langwith who made the brighter start, a Matt Jones header being deflected onto the bar by Alcuin ‘keeper Ben Bugeja in the first few minutes of the game.

Soon, they were 1-0 up, a Luke Holbrook cross breaking to the edge of the area where Will Prescott was on hand to power the ball beneath the despairing Bugeja.

After several lengthy periods of Alcuin possession, Langwith were on the charge once more; Bruce Starkey’s low effort from one of Prescott’s Delap-esque long throws being deflected wide.

They then thought they had made it 2-0 after Starkey converted Cameron Craig’s shot from another Prescott long-throw. However, this was quickly ruled out for offside.

Prescott himself then nearly extended their advantage just before half-time, flashing a header past the far post from a Luke Gardener corner.

After the break, Alcuin came out of the blocks rapidly, a neat exchange between Jacob Scholz and Tom Hargreaves almost producing a clear-cut opportunity within the first few minutes of the half.

Langwith then had another fantastic opportunity to score on the counter-attack, Gardener breaking down the right wing before squaring to Starkey, whose effort was saved by Bujega amid cries of “Offside!” from the Alcuin supporters.

Seconds later, it was the Alcuin fan’s turn to feel hard done by, Chris Houlgate playing in Scholz who was contentiously adjudged to be offside.

Langwith Captain Andy Hutt then missed a glorious opportunity to extend Langwith’s lead, miscuing from six yards out with only the ‘keeper to beat, before Sam Morley rattled the crossbar a few minutes later.

Alcuin defender Chris Boyd then almost scored on own goal after flicking a Langwith free-kick just over his own bar before Hutt almost converted after a goal-mouth scramble from the ensuing corner.

Suddenly, after this succession of Langwith opportunities, in the last five minutes of the game, Alcuin won a corner.

Scholz sent in a pearler of a ball which was powered home by defender Benjamin Rigby.

Despite desperate efforts from Gardener and Starkey to re-establish Langwith’s lead, the Alcuin defence proved resolute and the match ended one goal apiece.

Post-match, Alcuin captain Harry Billimore commented that he was “disappointed with our first-half performance. If we had played as well in the first half as we did in the second we could have won 4-0”.

Langwith Captain Andy Hutt was understandably “gutted” to have conceded so late in the game. He went on to add that his side had “controlled the first half but should have taken many more chances. We need to step it up in the games to come”.

Vision MOTM: Will Prescott

2 thoughts on “College Cup: Alcuin 2nds 1-1 Langwith 1sts

1. Alcuin deserve credit for some resolute defending, but were lucky to concede only 1 in truth. And although they finally managed to get out of their own half in the second period, Langwith still created far more clear cut chances.

Still, a deserved point for staying in the game and capitalising on poor marking from set piece.