College Cup: Alcuin 1sts 1-0 Vanbrugh 2nds

[visiongallery set=72157629936697160]

Photos: Adam Green

Alcuin 1sts all but secured their place in the quarter finals with a battling 1-0 win over a resolute Vanbrugh 2nds side. The result means only a sequence of shock results in the final set of matches can prevent Alcuin from progressing through to the next round.

Both sides entered the contest with two wins and a loss each, separated only by goal difference. In theory Alcuin entered the match holding the advantage, as their opponents still have to face James 1sts, whilst they possess a comparatively easy final game.

Battle commenced on a sun drenched JLD, with the first chances falling to Alcuin. Kallum Taylor denied Jakob Scholz, and then Graham Kimber fired narrowly wide. Alcuin didn’t have it all their own way though, and Vanbrugh had a penalty appeal when Max Poynter Hall was challenged in the area. A long throw then caused danger, resulting in Alex Habeck firing high over the Alcuin bar, in a relatively even opening.

Yet it was Alcuin who took the lead midway through the first half; Kimber produced a trademark surging run before unleashing a thumping drive, which Taylor could only push away. Scholz reacted first and was on hand to nod home. Alcuin enjoyed a good spell, but Vanbrugh almost struck the next blow. A freekick floated into the area, and under pressure, Marshall parried onto the bar.

At the other end Josh Allen crossed for Brown who headed on target, but Taylor comfortably saved. A close and competitive first half ended with Alcuin holding a narrow lead, but Vanbrugh most certainly still in the game.

Vanbrugh had a second big penalty appeal in the early stages of the second-half, after chaos from a corner, but again the referee waved away their appeals. Vanbrugh kept up the pressure, with a series of threatening corners, proving themselves a match for their opponents.

However Alcuin defended resolutely, centre halves Brad Wood and Chris Boyd particularly impressing. John Sanderson was twice denied by David Marshall, the second an acrobatic tip wide, after the Vanbrugh winger had surged through the Alcuin backline.

Alcuin meanwhile were relying mainly on the break, and for large parts of the second half, Taylor was a spectator. Greg Fearn came on as a sub, and with his first touch, crossed low, only for Boyd to direct his effort narrowly wide, as the game approached the closing stages. Again Vanbrugh threatened to equalise, a mishit shot being deflected agonisingly narrowly wide of the post.

Kimber almost sealed the win for Alcuin, after a Brown flick on, but from a narrow angle he fired his effort past the far post. Kimber then returned the favour, setting up Brown, but he miscued his effort harmlessly wide. Will Taylor then struck a freekick on target, but his namesake saved comfortably, as Alcuin finished the stronger of the two sides.

Alcuin held out for a crucial victory, displaying great battling qualities, which should see them through to the quarter finals.

After the game, Alcuin captain Brad Wood commented: “I’m really happy with the first half display, it was difficult in the second half with the heat, but we picked up another three points.”

Dan Shepherd, the Vanbrugh skipper, was delighted with his side’s performance, but disappointed with the final result. He told Vision: “It was a great effort from the lads, we were unlucky not to get anything as we dominated the second half.”