BUCS Football: York 1sts 0-0 Leeds 2nds

[visiongallery set=72157629565003897]

Photos: TK Rohit

York 1sts must avoid defeat to Hull on Wednesday in their battle for BUCS survival after they played out a disappointing goalless draw against Leeds 2nds.

The match lacked quality, with much of the play being very congested in the midfield and both teams too often resorted to the easy, unattractive and unsuccessful long ball option.

The table reads that York are ahead of Hull 1sts by six points to four, so avoiding any banana skins on Wednesday will see them stay in the Northern 2B league for the 2012-13 season.

York were the better team early on, with Tom Brandreth proving to be the most promising outlet with his long throws.

One such throw was headed over the bar by Ollie Harrison, who was under pressure but should have done better from six yards. Another throw allowed Dan Jones to stab at goal, but the ‘keeper grabbed the ball, preventing any rebounds.

McMahon pulled off a decent save mid-way through the half by tipping a Leeds player’s dangerous volley from 16 yards around the post.

York pushed for a half-time lead but nothing materialised. Jack Beadle lifted over a useful ball for Phil Taylor who was motoring down the left. His cross for James Davies was exquisite, but unfortunately a Leeds defender nicked the ball of the midfielder’s head at the last second.

Davies then delivered a corner to the back post to which Oscar Lynch connected with his head, but the ball was frustratingly cleared off the line by Leeds.

The second half began in similarly tepid fashion; the only thing to note in the first 15 minutes being a shot dragged wide from distance by Matt Mawdesley.

York got lucky at the back when Brandreth let the ball bounce over his head allowing the Leeds striker to race through. But McMahon brilliantly blocked his shot with one hand.

Alarm bells rang once again when a Leeds player met a corner kick delivery, but his headed effort was glanced narrowly wide of the far post.

With Leeds looking the more likely, Oscar Lynch stepped up his game and made some excellent last-ditch tackles to help keep the scores at 0-0.

With ten minutes remaining, Ollie Harrison was tugged back on the edge of the area, winning a free kick in the process. Davies’ delivery was contested by both Taylor and Lynch, who appeared to get in each other’s way and the ball, looping towards the back post, was tipped away by the ‘keeper.

Leeds almost stole victory at the death, however. McMahon saved a header from a corner above his head, then a Leeds pull-back was met with a snap shot which trickled just wide of McMahon’s left upright.

Captain Dan Turley said afterwards: “We took it to them in the second half and were a bit unlucky not to get the win. We were missing Tom Clarke because he has gone home, and Tom Day has work commitments.”

Vision MOTM: Oscar Lynch