Live: Lucy Rose- The Duchess (23/05/12)

LUCY ROSE

There was a distinct homespun feel to Lucy Rose’s set at The Duchess, as loved up couples high on the heat of the day sat around ready to take in the relaxed vibes of her music,LUCY ROSE and Lucy sat cradling her guitar in casual vintage attire. The turn-out, it had to be admitted, wasn’t fantastic – there was definitely room to run around if one was that way inclined – but Lucy lapped up the praise from the crowd, acknowledging the times when there was an approving hush, admitting “usually people talk all the way through these songs.” It is Lucy’s endearing character, along with her upbeat, almost rocky take on the folk style that makes her live shows ones to watch.
Previous to her starting any kind of solo career, Lucy toured with Bombay Bicycle Club, adding a valuable vocal quality to their recent work due to her neat and polished voice. Solo, however, she is a different performer, seeming more comfortable in the presence of a backing band of her own. Whether the backing band was necessary, however, is another matter. The songs in which just Lucy herself played, such as ‘Shiver’, rather aptly sent shivers down the spines of the audience, almost sending many of us into a trance, even prompting one to profess his love for her across the venue.
When the band joined in during songs such as ‘Middle of the Bed’, it was difficult not to think it would have been better had it just been Lucy on her own, as the additional layers of percussion, keyboard and guitar seemed to detract from the song.
Considering Lucy Rose has only a few released songs to rest on, she put on an impressive show. Her endearing qualities are sure to bring in the crowds – at one point she described how everything at the merch stall was bought by her parents as a present. The show could have been longer, but there is definitely more to come from this still underground artist.