Director’s Cut: Stanley Kubrick

Kubrick is an interesting paradox of a director. On one hand, he is revered by many as one of the greatest directors to ever have lived. On the other, in his lifetime, he was often seen as controversial figure and subsequently his work was often overlooked – he never won a major Oscar. In fact, a large quantity of his films initially received average reviews by uninterested critics, until decades later when they were revisited opinions were magically reversed and the same films were hailed as masterpieces. Both Anthony Burgess (A Clockwork Orange) and Stephen King (the Shining) were incredibly displeased with Kubrick’s adaptations of their work and many of the cast on his films disparaged at his perfectionism; actors having to deal with ever changing scripts, arduous working days and hundreds of takes.

Despite all of this, Kubrick was indisputably an inspirational and unique director. His work has had a profound effect on modern cinema, with many films and genres being revolutionised by his cinematographic techniques. As a result of this, I truly believe that there is a Kubrick filmout there for everyone, avid film fan or occasional dabbler. To make things easier, I have chosen what I believe to be his six most important and best films, and which generalised stereotypes would enjoy them. Please do not be offended….

Sci-Fi Fan
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Ridley Scott once quipped that 2001 had effectively killed the Sci-Fi Genre because it was such a remarkable enterprise, yet ironically it did the opposite. After 2001’s creation in 1968, was an inspiration to many, breathing new life into what some critics considered was a stale genre. It’s hard to imagine that a film with such astounding visuals is over forty years old. These visuals conveyed by Kubrick with such an intense soundtrack will no doubt have a profound effect on any viewer. Be warned however, with a running time of over two hours and minimal dialogue, this is far from light viewing. Despite this, after watching 2001 you will never look at any Sci-fi film in the same way again.

The Budding Comedian
Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
This Cold War parody film is often seen as one of the best comedies of all time and it’s easy to see why. The hilarious and often bizarre nature of the film is really strengthened by the performance of Peter Sellers in the film, who plays multiple eccentric roles, and George Scott as the exaggerated General Buck Turgidson. Aside from being side splittingly funny, it is a biting political satire on the Cold War which will, most importantly, get you thinking as well as laughing. Any potential funnyman should check this film out to see how comedy and satirical films should be made.

The Thrill Seeker
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
This film is simply amazing and incredibly unique as far as ‘war films’ are concerned. The tone is very different and split into two halves; the first portion of the film could quite easily fall into the comedy category which makes the horror of the second half all the more visceral. This is Kubrick’s intention because when the scenes of war come in this film, they come with a punch. Very imaginative and is not your normal gung-ho brainless action outing for the thrill seeker, Kubrick has an important message to convey about the Vietnam War and war in general. Even the manliest of men will be left feeling emotional at the end of this film.

The Scare Seeker
The Shining (1980)
A disturbing tale of a man’s insanity induced by the isolation of his new job, Kubrick masterfully builds up suspense through the film using eerie music and creepy imagery, an iconic one being the tricycle down the long winding corridor scene. Originally this film was met with mixed reviews and reviewers complained that Kubrick removed many of the elements which made King’s book so frightening. However, critics have since revisited the Shining and it is considered one of the scariest films of all time. So how terrifying is it? There’s only one way to find out – watch it and see.

The Philosopher
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
This film was considered a glorification of extreme sexual violence and subsequently was banned, earning it the gauntlet of Kubrick’s most controversial work. However, this is a simplistic take on the film and disregards the brilliance of the directing, acting and the moral messages the film explores. Is it better to choose to be evil or conditioned to be good? Those looking to explore this side of the film are best to read the novel by Burgess too, so they can compare the original to Kubrick’s very different conclusion on the question. Not for the faint hearted or easily offended. Well, that could apply to most of Kubricks work really.

So there you have it folks, five Kubrick films which anyone can easily enjoy. However, anyone can and should any of the films here. And don’t just limit yourself purely to this list! There is so much more out there in his film catalogue which should be viewed. From Barry Lyndon to Spartacus. Do Kubrick proud friends. Go forth and explore!