Study Centre “Victory” for Student Democracy

Students have taken matters into their own hands in renaming “The New Building Study Space” following a UGM which received the support of 1052 votes.

The motion, which was passed in January, demanded that the Union mandate the University to change the centre’s name to “The Brian Blessed Centre For Quiet Study.”

However, after it appeared that little had been done to move this request forward, one mysterious campaigner has taken it upon themselves to go ahead with the renaming regardless. A sign that reads “Welcome to the Brian Blessed Centre for Quiet Study” appeared outside the building earlier this week, taped onto a window.

Although the sign bears the University of York logo, this informal renaming is not thought to be the product of a Heslington Hall decision.

The original UGM, which was proposed by one Chair of Dougsoc Chris Reynolds, cited Blessed’s mountain climbing skills, his presidency of the Television and Radio Industries Club and his very loud voice as reasons for having a building named after him.

4 thoughts on “Study Centre “Victory” for Student Democracy

1. A source high up in the Doug Soc committee confirmed “We did that!!” when asked about the sign.

2. In response to any Dougsoc involvement with the sign…

Though I proposed the motion and was Dougsoc Chair at the time, as a society Dougsoc was not involved in the campaign.

With regards to whoever put up the sign, huzzah for them! It adds a great deal of appeal to the building, Mr. Blessed would be proud.

As a society, no decision was taken to make a sign and put it up on the building, although it wouldn’t surprise me if one or two members wearing long coats decided to make a sign, put a logo on the corner, borrow a friend’s tesco value laminator, walk off during a Dougsoc event just after Arthur Pitt had finished speaking, tape the sign to the window and sneak out past the security chap whilst he was watching something on his laptop and cuddling a blonde lady on the sofa.

3. when are yusu actually going to get onto the uni about this? the motion included a picture of brian blessed in the entrance lobby, and inviting him down for an official opening. all that’s happened is the uni has taken down the new building sign, and even then uni publicity still calls it the new building study space.

4. Brian Blessed Himself gave his approval for the naming of the building, and said as much in a radio broadcast. The University’s democratic system gave its approval, and said as much through the overwhelming positive vote.

Since the University’s student body and the recipient of this honour have each given approval, the time has clearly come for action, and sadly YUSU has been found lacking in this.

Brian Blessed broke records in his climbing of Everest, and yet YUSU will not give the man so much as an A4 sheet of laminated paper. This must change.