The rise of gay Europe

In pro-European circles, Europe is thought of as a modern, forward-looking entity that aims to fortify intra-European relations and modernise the lives of its citizens. Integration is a fashionable word used in said circles and the European Union is certainly trying to shift its image away from a group of associated nations towards a united global federation. Therefore, it is fairly shocking how something as modern, forward-thinking and fashionable as gay rights in contemporary societies has been left to the will of national lawmakers.

Countries like the Netherlands, Sweden and Spain have already passed bills allowing same-sex marriage. The Lutheran Church of Sweden has performed same-sex marriages for a few years. However, other states like Italy have not even contemplated changing their marital law and the Polish government actively restricts the use of the word ‘marriage’ to a union between a man and a woman.

Nonetheless, change is in the air. On February 5th, the House of Commons passed a bill to legalise same-sex marriage in England and Wales. A similar bill was also passed by the French Parliament earlier this week.

As I see it, the change in attitudes stems from two different things. Firstly, a shift in norms and values in the ongoing process of modernisation in our contemporary societies is certainly driving change. Former taboos have ceased to be problems, and people are starting to accept romantic relationships between two people of the same gender as a perfectly normal and healthy expression of love. This change is also demonstrated by the recent passing of same-sex marriage laws in a few US states, such as Washington.

In which case, how can we explain the massive demonstrations that have occurred in France over the past months demanding that the government withdraws such proposals?

In the UK, where a more laissez-faire mentality prevails, just a few people went to Parliament to protest against the passing of the law. Many more, in fact, celebrated the passing of the bill. In France where the state rigorously guards its paternalistic role, demonstrations both for and against the legislation have been much larger. Indeed, this disagreement could be explained by behind the scenes pressure from the European Union.

The EU is undoubtedly struggling through its greatest test: financial collapse, a crisis of legitimacy, secessionist movements in Catalonia and Scotland, the forthcoming British membership referendum and a general feeling of distrust. With this in mind, the EU must provide a case for membership and the emphasis on modernisation obviously plays an important role in their argument.

As such, in the same way it imposes austerity measures, it could be imposing the upholding of certain values like the legalization of gay marriage- in order to maintain their modernisation agenda.

In any case, EU or not, the approval of same-sex marriage is an important milestone for civil rights, and is something to celebrate as it provides greater equality to all Europeans, whether British, French or any other European nationality.