Roses Schedule in Doubt

The schedule set for this years’ 2010 Roses tournament has been thrown into serious doubt, after concerns were raised by the University of Lancaster’s Presidential committee over “possible clashes with examination timetables”

With the current Roses draft timetable being planned for the opening fortnight of Lancaster University’s Summer term, Saturday 24th April( Rowing) and Friday 30th April till Sunday 2nd May (for all other sports); a vital examination period, suggestions are being proposed by Lancaster to shift the event to the end of their Summer term.

Indeed the suggestion raised by Lancaster’s President has created conflicting resentment within the York Sport camp. Captains at a York Sport meeting today labelled their rivals as bitter, stating that attempts to move Europe’s largest inter-university competition to week 8 of their own term would only lead to a “lack of support”. Some members present even went as far as stating that the University of York should consider “boycotting” the event.

However, York Sport President Emily Scott was much less resigned for the potential downfall of the competition.  She admitted that “the event means so much to individuals that if we have to put out a second team we will do so”. Scott joked that the only solution to such proposals, would be to “go over there and beat them”.

The sporting event is held annually covering an array of sports, from football to clay-pigeon shooting. It went the way of York in 2009 following a record victory margin of 194.5 points to 74.5. Assuming Roses does go-ahead as planned, York will look to make history again by becoming the first university to win the Carter James Cup four times in a row.

7 thoughts on “Roses Schedule in Doubt

1. Well I don’t really know what ‘Rubbish’ is talking about. It seems to me she has just read the headline and then jumped to conclusions.

The writer refers to the timetable you mention but then goes on to say that this might change. Makes perfect sense to me.

2. I’m only writing what I heard guys, no wrong doing there..