Students attacked by sex offender on campus

sexual assault

Police are searching for a campus sex attacker after two female students were targeted last week.

The two attacks occurred between 7:15pm and 7:30pm in Vanbrugh and Wentworth on Sunday evening.

The first student reported how the attacker assaulted her by touching her inappropriately before escaping on a white bicycle.

Soon after, a second student said an individual, believed to be the same man, pulled down his trousers and exposed himself to her.

The news comes soon after students have voiced their concerns over security at the University, as well as revealing that a large number had experienced sexual harassment whilst at York.

Earlier this month, the YUSU ‘Zero Tolerance’ survey revealed that 72 per cent of York students had experienced sexual harassment whilst at University. However 97.5 per cent of these incidents went unreported. Last year over 55 per cent of students voiced their concerns about security on campus.

sexual assault1

Police are looking for a man between the ages of 16 and 19 with a short, skinny build and thick, blonde curly hair.

At the time of the attack he is said to of been wearing a hooded grey top, with the hood up, dark jeans and dark trainers with a thick white sole. The CCTV images shown here have been released by police in an attempt to identify the attacker.

PC Hannah Dearden of North Yorkshire Police said, in a statement: “If you recognise the suspect from the images or know anyone matching his description, please contact the police or Crimestoppers as soon as possible.

“I would also like to hear from anyone who has been approached in similar circumstances.”

Anyone with information that can be used to assist North Yorkshire Police with their enquiries is urged to call 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

8 thoughts on “Students attacked by sex offender on campus

1. Any student who experiences such an incident can seek immediate support and assistance from College porters and welfare staff and the Security service, and from YUSU’s Advice and Support Centre and the University’s Student Support Hub during working hours. Even if you choose not to report the incidnt to the Police, please let one of the above services know so that it can be logged and Security patrols increased.

2. Whatever you do, don’t go to the Open Door Team. Been there, done that, with dire effects.

3. I really hope these two girls are OK.

Also, importantly, never feel as if it’s silly to ask some one to walk you home! It’s natural to be scared, campus can be dark (the lighting is a fucking joke) and for a lot of you, they’re new surroundings. If you’re being followed it’s not an over exaggeration to go in and ask a porter! Stay safe and please don’t worry yourselves- I hope they find who did this soon.

4. It’s not mentioned anywhere in the article, but the phone number for campus security in an emergency is 01904 323333, or 3333 from any campus phone. Non-emergency is 01904 324444, or 4444 from a campus phone. Security services will happily walk you across campus at night, you just need to call them and ask!

5. Vanessa, what’s wrong with the Open Door Team? And what were the dire consequences?

6. I was sexually assaulted by my housemate in Halifax College, and nothing was done about it.