Anmoli Sodha elected as Derwent Chair

Anmoli Sodha has been elected as the Derwent JCRC chair for 2013.

The former treasurer beat off strong competition from Sports Rep Simon Varley and RAG Rep Adam Seldon, and ended up winning 253 votes to Varley’s 215 and Seldon’s 108 votes with a turnout of 576.

The turnout was testament to the high quality and experience of all three candidates and the highly effective and committed campaigns all three ran. Sodha emphasised her determination, executive experience and knowledge of university politics, stating that she was “delighted to have won” and she would endeavour to make it the “best year for Derwent ever!”.

At the same time, she was sorry for the other candidates as she believed both “would have made excellent chairs” and she hoped that they would “both be able to continue to contribute to the JCR in some capacity”.

This theme of the electorate placing a premium on experience was repeated throughout the night with second years emerging victorious virtually every time they were pitted against first years.

The position of Vice Chair for Welfare (the first year the welfare portfolio has been at Vice Chair level) was won by Ed Moore and Rosie McCluskey who defeated first years Lizzy Roberts and Chris Worthington.

The position for Vice Chair for Events was won by Chris Judge and Joel Brockelhurst who emphasised their music and organisational experience despite not previously having JCRC experience, beating a strong challenge from Ents Rep Aggie Torrance and Sports Rep Marte Retzius.

Other notable results include Hayley Carr and Ellie Burch winning the race for Secretary and Stephie Hines coming through a congested field of four candidates to comfortably win the post of treasurer.

Derwent JCRC 2013 in full:

Chair: Anmoli Sodha

Vice Chair for Welfare: Rosie McCluskey & Ed Moore

Vice Chair for Ents: Chris Judge & Joel Brockelhurst

Secretary: Hayley Carr & Ellie Burch

Treasurer: Stephie Hines

Sports Reps: Ally Walker, Izzy Ashton, Mike Whittall, Rachel Brooke

Campaigns Officer: Emma Sanderson & Maddy Kirkman

Alumni Rep: Benjamin Ruthven

LGBT Rep: Tom Clark

Bar Rep: Matthew Elvin, Josh Nicholls, Katie Redgrave, Lucy Melkowski

Volunteering Rep: Tessa Barratt & Caitlin O’Kelly

International Reps: Jashan Bhatia & Andrea Bustamante

Eco Reps: Meg Opie & Lily Horton

Sponsorship Reps: Alexander Nicholson & Jol Hutchings

Press and Publicity: Esther Cameron & Sarah Cattle

Merchandise Reps: Maddy Cruz & Mark Robson

RAG Reps: Ben Leatham & Lydia Gorick

Ents Rep: Elizabeth Villanueva, Lucy Winship, Maisie Kelly, Samuel Davies

13 thoughts on “Anmoli Sodha elected as Derwent Chair

1. Why is there a LGBT rep without a women’s rep, bla,ck rep, latina rep disabled rep?

Why are LESBIANS, GAYS, BISSEXUALS AND TRANSSEXUALS given so much political appeasement on campus? I guess it’s quite trendy and cool to be in favour of LGBT issues. However, it seems that York appeases LGBT over all other category of students.

LGBTs make me sick.

2. LGBT are so obnoxious on campus. There is no other category of people (except perhaps, fat people) who are more obnoxious. I think as well as there being a LGBT officer there should be a Fat Students’ Officer. Their aims and interests would be similarly pathetic.

3. If I may explain my popular earlier comment: I gave Vision a little advice with the adding, which was followed and my original comment deleted.

4. During Anmoli’s term a Derwent college treasurer the college accounts were basically plundered with massive transactions just to by things such as bluetack, sodha is incompetent.

re: L to the G to the B to the T to the l,m,n,o,p…whats next rights for Bunty Manz? srsly though womcom get up in arms over a guy posting a meme on ‘walk thru rape alley, didn’t get raped’ and go ballistic, that is nothing compared to the ones i have seen at Imperial memes ‘girls at imperial are like parking spaces, either taken or disabled’,

Comment moderated by editor

5. LGBT stduents are given special privileges over and above normal students. In the first stance they have the option of using both male, female and transgender toilets. They are probably able to apply to the University as male, female and trangender students too, increasing the likelihood of them being accepted at the University.

6. POOR Anne-Marie Bright, too worried about fat people instead of intelligence, just to prove that obviously intelligent is clearly something she’s not…..hee hee

7. This is literally the end of derwent college. Its gone downhill from Matt > Francessca > Anmoli. She can talk the talk clearly (and talk non stop) but will not be able to walk the walk. Ugh, shes been on the JCRC already, hence her support base but NOBODY was happy with her performance as treasurer. Game over derwent, from the best college to undoubtedly what is going to be the WORST college.

8. They may be disgusting and unnecessary, but this is not a crime. Your comment does tie into the perception that LGBTs students are loudmouths. A good kick up the hind may help.