Koen Lamberts confirmed as new Vice-Chancellor

koenThe University of York has announced that Professor Koen Lamberts will succeed Professor Brian Cantor as the Vice-Chancellor of the University of York.

Professor Lamberts, who is currently Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost of Warwick University, will take up his new post on 1st January 2014.

Professor Lamberts said: “I am enormously proud to be chosen to lead this great University. In only 50 years, York has forged a reputation in the UK and internationally for its outstanding teaching and world-class research. I look forward to the exciting challenge of making sure that the University continues to make a difference in the world in the years ahead.”

The Chair of University Council, Sir Chris O’Donnell, remarked: “Koen Lamberts is a talented leader with a strong commitment to excellence in learning, research and knowledge transfer. I have no doubt that he will be an outstanding Vice Chancellor of the University of York.”

Lamberts joined Warwick in 1998 and became head of the Department of Psychology in 2000, before rising further within in the institution. He served as Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and as Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Academic Resourcing, before being appointed Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost in February 2012.

YUSU President Kallum Taylor told Vision: “I’m absolutely delighted with, and excited about, the appointment of Koen. Aside from a clear sense of direction, a fantastic portfolio and hugely respected reputation across Higher Education, we have ourselves a very approachable and down to earth Vice Chancellor.

“On the occasions we met it was clear that Koen has a full appreciation of where our University is currently at, what we need to do to progress further, and what we must do to carry on punching above our weight in a pretty turbulent time for universities and students.”

Born in Hasselt, Belgium, Lamberts attended University at Birmingham before embarking upon an academic career which saw him lecture at the Universities of Chicago, Warwick and Birmingham and be awarded prestigious prizes by the Experimental Psychology Society and the British Psychological Society.

7 thoughts on “Koen Lamberts confirmed as new Vice-Chancellor

1. Dag Koen! Ik spreek Nederlands! Ben je fan van Samson en Gert (ik moest kloppen want de bel doet het niet…)?

2. Where did he go to secondary school and sixth form? Does he understand the UCAS and A-level system or do Belgian vice-chancellors let anyone into the University?

3. Since he’s worked in UK academia for 20 years, fairly obviously he knows how the system works – in fact he’ll remember UCCA and PCAS! (Google them).