The Vanbrugh 1sts stunned last season’s College Cup champions as they cruised to a 3-1 victory over Halifax, climbing to third in the Revolution Premier League.
During the first half of the game Vanbrugh’s striker Liam Sides was causing Halifax’s defence numerous problems, often getting in behind and skipping past defenders like they weren’t there. He had a great solo run five minutes in where he took on three players, before the keeper made a great save to deny him.

Fifteen minutes in, a rebound fell to Kyle Picknel who was just five yards out, before he somehow managed to blast it over when truthfully it looked like it was harder to miss.

Halifax were still in the game throughout the first half and Garo Heath got in one-on-one after a great ping over the top from the midfield, but the Vanbrugh keeper was quick off his line to deal with the danger.

The final chance of this half fell to Vanbrugh’s central attacking midfielder Joe Watkins, who played a quick one-two with Sides to get through on goal, but Halifax keeper Coleman denied Vanbrugh once again. At half time it was 0-0 and it was hard to predict which team would win.

But, in the second half Vanbrugh started to dominate, with their first goal coming 50 minutes in from right back Siddle. He smashed it into the bottom right corner with his left from just outside the area.

Halifax centre back Lewis Keen picked up an injury 55 minutes in, meaning they were down to ten men for the time being.

Vanbrugh were applying pressure and had three corners in a row soon after Halifax went down to ten, but failed to convert.

Vanbrugh were now all over Halifax, and their second goal came at the 60 minute mark. Vanbrugh keeper Darnell-Ford’s clearance put Sides in for a one-on-one, where he lobbed the keeper to score. This was your classic route one goal, the type of goal that would make Tony Pulis shed a tear.

Lewis Keen came back onto the pitch 62 minutes in, and so Halifax were back to eleven temporarily, although he struggled with the injury and came off once again with twenty minutes to go, leaving Halifax with ten for the remainder of the match.

Soon after, Watkins picked up the ball for Vanbrugh and scored a Gerrard-esque goal, smashing it past the keeper from 25 yards. At 3-0 the game was pretty much over and Vanbrugh looked very comfortable, although Halifax got a late consolation when Tester smashed the ball into the roof of the net from 25 yards. It proved a valiant display from Vanbrugh who now have two wins in three and face Goodricke next week. MOTM: Tom Siddle (Vanbrugh).

Vanbrugh XI (4-2-3-1): Darnell-Ford; Siddle, Paulas, Brennan, Dunkley; Picknel, O’Brien; Polts, Watkins, Lund; Sides.

Halifax XI (4-2-3-1): Coleman; Goldthorpe, Bull, Keen, Rifles; Bowden, Collins; Dunning, Tester, Chadli; Heath.