University of York 159 – 7 bt University of Bradford 158 all out by 3 wickets

[visiongallery set=72157626791196493]

Photos: Oliver Todd

A strong performance from York’s Joel Hughes earned the home team victory in their semi-final match against the University of Bradford as well as a place in next week’s BUCS Northern Conference Cup. Hughes came into bat when his team were at 28-2 and achieved both a half century and victory for York.

On a grey and overcast Wednesday, the University of York men’s 1sts team fielded first against the University of Bradford men’s 1sts. York fielded well and while there was strong play from the whole team, George Richards’ bowling was particularly reliable and accurate. At 1.40pm Bradford had a reached 78-3 with 16 overs when the heavens opened. Play resumed 30 minutes later and soon after, Bradford were all out for 158.

At 4pm after tea York started batting. The absence of York’s star batsman Fraser Crawford meant the fist pair to take to the pitch were Oscar Wimshurst and Alex McDonald. But York’s batters hit a slump, with several batsmen achieving very few runs. Wimhurst got out for 2 and was replaced by Townson, McDonald got out for 11 then Townson got 13 runs. Bradford caught out York’s captain James Oldham after he achieved just 1 run.

Less than 10 minutes later Tom Bugge scored 0, then Richard Hoggart was caught out on the next ball bowled; out with a golden duck. Soon after, a great delivery from Bradford’s bowler hit the wickets of Ben Cooke making him out for 2.

Bradford did their best to put-off the home team, and when 71-4 became 86-6 with batters Bugge and Hoggart not making much of an impact on the score, Bradford thought they were in for a chance and started to pile on the pressure. Ben Cooke joined Hughes on the field, and with York on 105 the home team needed to secure 54 for victory. It was the partnership between Richards and Hughes successfully finished off the match.

York’s captain James Oldham commented that he was “absolutely delighted to complete the double over Bradford, especially when we had 6 players missing and they had a full strength side. Resolve, nerve and courage was needed to prevail on uncertain times. But we had strength and depth in our squad and was a classic semifinal victory.”

The final on the June 15th will be against Liverpool Hope University or Liverpool John Moores University. Victory would be the perfect end to an excellent season for the side and maintain their 100% record.