Cup Men’s Lacrosse: York 1sts 4-2 Hull 1sts

[visiongallery set=72157629171158104]

Photos: Tom Wooldridge

York 1sts had to fight hard to secure victory against a dogged Hull side which put them through to the final of the BUCS Cup.

Hull went ahead in the first minute, but York hit back with two goals from Joe Tebbutt to go ahead. Hull drew level after half time, but another goal from Joe Tebutt put the hosts back in front, and a great finish from Andy Chalmers rounded off a very positive display from the 1sts.

There was a possibility that Hull would contest the result of the match, since, according to BUCS Regulations, all matches must be officiated by two qualified referees; the match in question had only one qualified official present. However, this did not happen and York have successfully reached the final.

Biting high winds swept across the 22 acres as the sides faced off, and Hull seemed to catch the wind in their sails as they went ahead after less than a minute, as a scramble at crease somehow resulted in a loose ball being bundled in.

York tried to level quickly with some aggressive play, effecting immediately a policy of shoot on sight, which saw a number of half-chances sailing over and wide of the goal.

York were keeping the pressure on Hull well as they effectively smothered Hull’s attempts at a counter-attack as they pressed for a goal. York’s efforts were typified in a moment where an attacking move from Hull was brought to an abrupt halt by tyrannical challenge from Scott Nuckey, who, after winning possession, scooped the ball backwards over pursuing Hull players to keep the ball in the attacking third.

Eventually, York’s hard work paid off as they got themselves level before the end of the quarter, as Dariush Kamali sprinted upfield, and, after storming through a barrage of challenges, showed great awareness to pick out an astute pass to Joe Tebutt, who darted in from the right flank to score.

And Tebutt almost got another just before the break, in a facsimile of the first move, splitting the defence in two from the right, but this time shooting just wide.

The second quarter proved a much more even affair, as both sides had long spells of unbroken possession as they probed for an opening. And it was telling that Andy Chalmers’ delivering an absolute piledriver of a shot to the groin of an unfortunate Hull defender was an early highlight of the period.

However, the game did begin to open up after a while, and York took advantage of this. Dariush Kamali was having a great game, as he made a number of fearless bursts through the midfield and in defence, Billy Yipp looked formidable throughout the match as he used his height to great advantage to deal hefty blows over the shoulders of opponents to dislodge the ball.

The third quarter began with Hull monopolising possession, but it was York who had the better of play, and after missing a couple of chances in a scramble at crease, York turned up the heat another notch, and it was a strategy that paid dividends, as some good pressure led to Joe Tebutt’s collecting the ball, and after turning a Hull defender, letting fly to make it 2 – 1.

However, Hull took little time to peg York back, and a very well executed move saw a reverse ball lofted in from behind the goal find a Hull forward, who was gifted time and space aplenty for him to put away a simple finish.

Joe Tebutt was continuing to play havoc with the Hull defence, and yet another run in from out wide saw him through on goal again, only for his shot to be blocked at point blank range.

A less pleasant moment, however, came as Alex Cater tried to fight his way through a mêlée at crease, but found himself knocked to the floor, and when he failed to get up, the crowd began to grow quiet, and, when, after the match was stopped, he began to convulse horribly, there was an atmosphere of genuine concern.

Thankfully, he eventually came to and managed to make his way off the pitch to the applause of the crowd. And within seconds of the game restarting York avenged their fallen comrade. A great passing move from the team culminated in a finish from Joe Tebutt to complete his hat-trick, much to the delight of the York crowd and players as the roar of “You touch OUR boy, we come back harder! came from the bench”

The final quarter, again saw both teams have large spells of possession, and York were treading on very thin ice as a volley of shots whizzed past the York goal in quick succession. However, Hull yet again failed to capitalise, and they let York get out of sight when, in another great display of pass- and-move from York, the home side showed great skill as Andy Chalmers was found in space and put away a fine finish to settle the game at 4 – 2.

Captain Seb Swenson displayed a great pride in his team as he commented, “We beat them last time when they had players missing; they turned up full-strength this time and we sent them home crying”, and when asked about the prospect of a rematch, now quashed, he shrugged and said in no uncertain terms, “It doesn’t really matter. We’ll just turn up and do our thing and beat them again”.

Vision MOTM: Joe Tebutt

One thought on “Cup Men’s Lacrosse: York 1sts 4-2 Hull 1sts

1. Great news for York Men that Hull have decided not to contest the result with BUCS and York will be moving on to the BUCS cup final.

Thanks, a very delighted York Mens Coach
    James Agar