BUCS: Mixed Rowing

Tom Eames, Richard Nixon, Eden Sparke, Ed Scobie and Matthew Bowman.

This weekend the University of York Boat Club (UYBC) ventured from its home on the River Ouse for the first time this year to take to the waters of the River Nene in Peterborough for the BUCS head race.

The men’s coxed 4+ was the highlight of the weekend; they placed an impressive second. Sheer determination, aided by a fortunately timed crash by leading competitors Durham, led Tom Eames, Matt Bowman, Ed Scobie and Richard Nixon to victory. First place was taken by Newcastle, who dominated the category, finishing eighteen seconds faster than York. Ed Scobie, part of the winning crew, said “it is been a cracking weekend for UYBC. After all the early mornings, and continual hard work put in, it is great to receive a medal.”

Men’s Senior Captain Sam Agass, who unfortunately had to pull out of the four with a knee injury, cheered his squad proudly from the riverbank. “This is an incredible result for the men’s squad; it is a testament to all the hard work we have put in.” Evidently as this is the first BUCS medal ever won by the club. The men’s 4+ as a consequence qualified for the BUCS regatta in May, and Sam expressed the win as a prerequisite for “bigger and better things in the upcoming season”. A senior men’s VIII; combining the winning four with Dominic Marshall, Matt Harris, Paddy Somerville-Large and Oliver Woods also had an encouraging result placing 8 out of 28. The latter two in particular must be commended for their efforts. They are part of the men’s novice squad, as it is their first year at the sport, but with all the injuries in the current men’s squad, they rose to the challenge and participated in the senior race.

Division One on Sunday also saw the Senior Women’s squad race. The women’s VIII placed 10th out of 24; well within the top half of the category. Pippa Maloney, the captain described the race as a “good technical row”, however, she admitted the boat had hoped to have placed higher. She further commented that this placing would be challenged by the squad next week in Women’s Eights Head of the River, (WEHORR), in London which is “the biggest race of the year so far”. The women’s IV also had a solid race placing 18th.

On Saturday, the novice men braved a battling strong gusty wind, but he weather conditions proved to be un-rowable; the cancellation of the novice women’s division in the afternoon was a testament to this. Both crews were disappointed but are looking forward to the Yorkshire Head meeting this Saturday.