The Del Rey, Lana’s bag for Mulberry

Lana carries the Del Rey: Photo c/o Cosmopolitan Magazine

This morning, I picked up the Sunday Times, as I do every Sunday. Mostly, I buy the paper just for the Style magazine, and today’s issue definitely proved why. Full of London Fashion Week snippets and a mixture of high fashion and high street to inspire those interested in style.

The magazine features Lana Del Rey, girl of the moment, songstress and undeniable beauty as the new face of the Mulberry ‘it’ bag due to launch in May. And it is fabulous. As a girl who has been pining after the Alexa since its launch, I’m excited to say that I prefer the Del Rey, it’s simpler, classier and a gorgeous shape. Coinciding with my 21st, I’m certainly hoping to sweet talk my parents into believing this Mulberry will be an investment… fingers crossed…

Mulberry tweeted this morning that they are “super excited” to announce their latest bag inspired by the US songstress, sending the ‘fash pack’ into a frenzy and Lana had pride of place at the Mulberry AW12 show this morning at Claridges, carrying the Del Rey in a one-off white ostrich.

Will the Del Rey be as popular as the iconic Bayswater or the instantly recognisable Alexa? Lana cuts a controversial figure across the press but I’m tempted to say that her Hollywood glamour image will swing in Mulberry’s favour. Alexa Chung is certainly a difficult act to follow and it remains to be seen as to whether Lana Del Rey can rival her in the style stakes.

The Mulberry brand simply can do no wrong, and whilst I recognise that we are all students here… we can lust for these classic, luxurious handbags whether we can afford to buy them or not. Hell, on graduating… and of course dependent on whether I actually get a job, I’ll be saving up my pennies for my very own – and it will be my pride and joy.

The Del Rey: photograph c/o Cosmopolitan