Halifax Let Lead Slip to Share Varsity Spoils

By Adam Hagerty.


IT WAS honours even after a scrappy affair between Halifax College and University College Durham ended in a two all draw.

Halifax wasted no time before going on the offensive, opening the scoring with the first attack of the match. A stampeding run down the left hand side by Garo Heath caught the Durham defence asleep at the back, cutting into the box before playing a simple ball across the mouth of the goal, onto the foot of the advancing Charlie Dunning who was able to tap the ball in for a simple finish. 

It wasn’t long however until University College levelled the score as they looked to grow into the game and apply some pressure of their own. A corner ball whipped in from the left eluded the Halifax goalie as he came to claim it, before being played back across goal and squeezed into the bottom right corner by the waiting Stuart Whitehouse. 

With both teams on the score sheet the match began to open up, however it was Halifax who continued to have the better of the chances. A lovely cross into the box from the left by Dunning found the run of George Waring in the centre, who was unable to make the necessary connection, flicking the ball harmlessly over the bar. 

Halifax finally did manage to break through the University defence. A deflected shot from outside the box was blocked by the goalie, only for the rebound to find the outstretched leg of Heath who managed to roll the ball into the back of the net. 
However, in the dying minutes of the first half, University College once again found the equaliser. A headed clearance by Halifax following a subsequent University corner was met by Don Bishop whose volleyed effort from the edge of the box beat the goalie down to his right. 

Neither keeper was truly tested in the second half as the game descended into a scrappy battle in midfield with neither team managing to retain possession for long. 

The best chance of the half went to Halifax, as number 24 turned his man on the edge of the box before laying up a shot for Waring who was unable to find the target, lifting his shot over the bar. Both teams would have to settle for a share of the spoils as the final whistle was blown ending the game at 2-2