Focus Sports Chosen For 2014/2015 Season

Six of the university’s sports clubs have been awarded the title of ‘Focus Sports’ for the imminent season commencing next week. With an increased number of places available on the scheme this year, with only five clubs receiving the title for 2013/2014, there was an even bigger chance for some new faces to firmly put their clubs on the map.

Applications closed on the 29th of September, with the clubs that applied having to wait until Thursday to find out their fate, when it was announced that Lacrosse, Men’s Rugby, Futsal, Waterpolo, Fencing, and Football had all managed to convince the committee that their club is the one to watch this season.

To be awarded this position, clubs had to display a high quality of talent in their squad, as well as togetherness as a team that they believe will lead to success on the field. As they strive for success and aim to finish as high as possible in their BUCS league table, the chosen sports will be helped along the way with match day physiotherapy amongst many other forms of support from the York Sport Union in conjunction with York Sport.

After a successful application, Football is new to the programme, and Women’s Football President Ellie Whittaker told Vision of her delight at the news. “Quite simply, this means everything to football at York. I feel extremely privileged that the York Sport Union agrees with us that football can be a flagship sport at York for years to come, and we cannot wait to work with them to enable both football clubs to thrive this season, and in the future.”

The club has proved themselves worthy candidates by making a number of other changes this season, along with becoming a Focus Sport. Ellie also explained; “This season, UYWAFC have appointed two new coaches. One has coached in the Women’s Premier League, the other has a great history of developing clubs. We have a new second team in BUCS, and we have developed our links with college sport and Sportivate even further, in order to allow girls of all abilities to play football. We have already seen our interest almost double at Freshers’ Fair, and the highest standard of football at York over pre-season. I hope that the first team will be challenging for the championship, with the second team having a solid debut season. I can’t wait for this season!”

The Men’s Football President Guy Bowden was equally delighted with the news, telling Vision, “Football was chosen as a Focus Sport because we are the most widely played, forward moving and ambitious club on campus. The men’s teams are hoping for at least one promotion and strong cup runs across the board. With the added benefits of Focus Sport we hope to achieve these aims and continue the momentum of the previous two seasons.”

One thought on “Focus Sports Chosen For 2014/2015 Season

1. Any women’s team should be fucking applauded for being so great against the sexist-odds, but women’s football seem to be especially good :)