College Cup: Goodricke 1sts 1-0 Vanbrugh 3rds

Joe Mann struck a dramatic winner in the final moments to move Goodricke 1sts up to nine points in Group 3, joining Vanbrugh 3rds and Halifax 1sts.

However, there was controversy at the final whistle as Vanbrugh’s bench were incensed that the referee had played more than the allocated 30 minutes in the second half.

Nevertheless the result stands and it means the three teams go to the final round of matches next Tuesday with everything still to play for in terms of Cup qualification.

On yet another baking hot afternoon, it was Vanbrugh who started better as Priest had a great opportunity in the very first minute.

The big striker bulldozed his way down the right wing and through two Goodricke defenders, but scuffed a weak shot at Neill.

The thirds were out-passing the firsts in midfield and a clever one-two between Seb Treasure and Tom Fisher saw the latter blast his shot over the bar from around 12 yards.

Goodricke’s primary threat going forward was the tricky Sam Lewis, whose dribbling skills was causing problems, but Vanbrugh’s defence remained strong.

After 20 minutes, Goodricke had their first effort on target as captain Matt Thomas struck a low free kick to Kallum Taylor’s left, but the YUSU President-elect did well to turn to ball round the post.

Vanbrugh looked dangerous on the counter-attack, but Goodricke ended the half on top as Jonny Grout had to make a vital tackle to deny Mann in the penalty area.

The first half ended scoreless and both teams began the second period tentatively as the importance of what was at stake dawned on the players.

Goodricke had a great chance just two minutes after the restart but Sam Cottingham fired over from a left-wing cross with Taylor out of his goal.

Vanbrugh made a switch up front as Adam Lewis came on for the impressive Priest in the hope of nicking a goal.

Taylor then made a marvellous tackled to deny Lewis and a stretching Jon Sharpe shanked an effort wide after latching on to a long goal kick.

Young was again involved moments later, but his powerful drive was bravely blocked by Johnny Grout, before the striker’s best chance went begging with just ten minutes remaining.

Luke Parker’s lobbed pass bounced beyond the Vanbrugh defence to Sharpe who, with just Taylor to beat, stopped time as his shot slowly trickled inches wide of the far post.

With time running out, Vanbrugh almost dealt Goodricke a deadly blow but Fisher’s snap shot rippled the side netting and Lewis fired wide after bullying the Goodricke defenders.

Max Poynter Hall also dragged a shot wide with three minutes left after an inviting lay-off from Lewis.

But with the 60 minutes up, the referee decided to play on, much to Vanbrugh’s disgust.

Goodricke took full advantage as a long ball pumped forward ricocheted off Sharpe into Mann’s path, and the striker slammed home, sparking jubilant celebrations from the Goodricke players.

Afterwards, an angry Mike Sutcliffe said: “I feel gutted. If that’s how teams are going to beat us then so be it; I thought we were absolutely fantastic today, we didn’t deserve to lose. We’re a good team and we have at least secured a Plate position.”

Meanwhile, a delighted Matt Thomas said: “We weren’t at our best today and were up against a strong Vanbrugh team, but I think we deserved the win with our chances. We now have to move on and beat James 2nds.”

Vision MOTM:  Johnny Grout

One thought on “College Cup: Goodricke 1sts 1-0 Vanbrugh 3rds

1. Rob Young wasn’t playing today. It was Jon Sharpe I think you’re confusing him with.