X-Men: First Class

As someone normally sceptical of prequels, sequels, or any kind of artificial extension to a franchise, I was more than surprised at just how good this film turned out to be. Admittedly, the basic ingredients for a successful addition to the X-Men series were already in place in the form of James McAvoy – as distinguished professor Charles Xavier – and newcomer Michael Fassbender as baddie-to-be Erik Lehnsherr. Their intriguing back story, only hinted at in the original trilogy, left many fans eager for more, so it was only a matter of time before a director stepped up and fulfilled this demand.

Set in the middle of the Cold War, the film depicts the relationship between the two figureheads of the X-Men films as they unite against common enemy Sebastian Shaw (played by a convincing Kevin Bacon), then ultimately separate from each other.

Many well-loved characters from the original trilogy have their origins explored in the film, including Mystique and Beast, played here by Jennifer Lawrence and Nicolas Hoult. Unfortunately, unlike the main protagonists, these newcomers have little to offer; they’re given very little back story, and no explanation for their motivations. They do, however, provide the necessary light-hearted, comic violence that runs throughout the X-Men series.

It’s Michael Fassbender, though, who ultimately steals the show. His back story is certainly the most fascinating; brought up in Nazi occupied Poland, his fall from child prodigy to troubled antihero is depicted in the film’s opening. His portrayal of this descent is both realistic and sympathetic, and we naturally wonder why anyone wouldn’t be on his side. His plan to take revenge for his mother’s murder reaches its climax towards the film’s close, where Fassbender’s true talent really comes through – he evokes equal degrees of reverence and horror from the audience in this last scene. Honestly, if the film were simply 131 minutes of Michael Fassbender, there would not be a problem.

The same can’t be said for James McAvoy. Die-hard fans may be disappointed by his interpretation of Professor X, not least because of the absence of his trademark bald head. He adds a certain vivaciousness – even, at times, flirtatiousness – to the character that the older Patrick Stewart definitely did not, and this can sometimes be jarringly out of character. Nevertheless, his brilliance shines through as the all-knowing, ever-wise professor.

All in all, the film is more than a worthy extension to the series. You’d think that, seeing how many films the X-Men franchise has churned out, the idea would feel forced or overdone by now; but actually, here, it’s quite the opposite. X Men: First Class feels entirely separate from its predecessors, and this is where the success of the film lies. Of course, the fantastic cast, fresh plotline and great character development don’t hurt, and all of these elements come together to form what can only be described as a first class film