York Most Expensive Student City in UK

York is the most expensive city in England to be a student, a new study has revealed.

The research, by NatWest, analyses students weekly spending including rent and living costs, against earnings from part-time work and then compares these results with the experience of students in the other 24 University cities or towns in the study.

The study could have a major impact on York’s ability to attract students, as 22% of those in the study claimed that the cost of living was a factor when they chose where they would study.

Included in the calculation were the amount students spent on accommodation costs, going out, buying clothes, laundry, transport, household bills, socializing and going out, cigarettes and entertainment. This is then divided by the average local weekly outcome for working students.

York’s poor performance is attributed to the comparatively high cost of rent in the city, coupled with low average weekly earnings.

The study revealed that York’s students worked less than half the national average of hours a week, with many only feeling able to work four hours a week.

This was partly explained by the fact York’s students spent more time on their studies than most, on average 26 hours a week, four hours above the national average.

A Third year Economics student claimed that, “there does seem to be less focus on earning money during term time at York compared with other Universities, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The study shows that students at York work harder than in many other Universities, and lots of students spend many hours enhancing their University experience through playing sports, or being involved in other societies. If that means we have to watch our pennies a bit closer then so be it.”

Postgraduate student Sophie James agreed, “I was quite surprised by the results, but I suppose living in York might be a bit more expensive than other cities, but it is one of the most beautiful and historic cities in England, and I am happy to pay more to live here.”

8 thoughts on “York Most Expensive Student City in UK

1. If students feel that they must work longer hours in comparison to those at other universities, surely this promotes the value of a York degree over that at other institutions, where obtaining a degree is less intensive and achieved more easily?

2. This is such a load of rubbish. York is so clearly cheaper than London, Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge and a bunch of other cities.

Why is the survey based on part time wages students claim they earn? Like hell does the average London student earn £168 per week. Why isn’t the survey based on actual facts, such as that the average rent price (for students) in York is about £70, but the average rent in London is £100+? Also factor in transport costs and the survey looks increasingly ridiculous.

Even if the earnings figures were true, why does the fact that London students decide to work 16 hours a week make York a more expensive city… surely the fact that they need to work that much makes York cheaper?

What a waste of time.

3. Even if a London student earns more money, that’s factoring in their regional allowance which is supposed to (but, as a Londoner, I can say usually doesn’t) offset the increased price of rent, goods etc. On another note, I agree with Jaime.

4. This doesn’t seem right at all- my rent is £70 a week for a beautiful house, and is cheaper than my friends at Birmingham, Manchester and (obviously) London. My weekly budget is less than many of my friends and (thanks to supermarkets such as netto) I get by just fine.
    I think NatWest need to do a little more research on this amazing city!