University Electronics professor receives OBE

Electronics professor Mohamed El-Gomati has been featured in the New Year Honours list, which is published today.

Professor El-Gomati has been awarded the title of ‘Officer of the Order of the British Empire’ (OBE), for his services to Science.

He has worked at the university since 1997 after obtaining his PhD here and is the author and co-author of more than 200 articles and patents on the subject of Surface Science and Electron Optics.

In July Dr Allen Warren, a senior lecturer in the Department of History at the university was awarded as a ‘Member of the Order of the British Empire’ (MBE), whilst this time last year 3 members of university staff were featured on the honours list.

University registrar David Duncan said of El-Gomati’s success, “I am delighted that Professor El-Gomati has been awarded an OBE in the New Year Honours list.  The award reflects Mohamed’s substantial achievements in research as well as his high standing in the wider community.”

“From a student perspective his department has attained the highest standards in recent National Student Surveys, and Mohamed has played an important part in this.”

El-Gomati joins the likes of Actress Helena Bonham Carter, golfers Rory McIlroy and Darren Clarke, cricket umpire Dickie Bird and veteran comedian Ronnie Corbett on this years 984-person list.

2 thoughts on “University Electronics professor receives OBE