Candidate Profile: Nacho Hernando

Following his time as Goodricke chair last year, Nacho Hernando is a name that will be familiar for a lot of people.

Hernando told Vision that he is running for President as “I believe our Union, through lobbying and delivering practical services, should focus on the overarching aim of enhancing our students’ education, employability and student experience.”

With regards to the first point, Hernando wants to see YUSU deliver an academic mentoring system, reducing student-staff ratios and providing part-time jobs for post-graduate students, and to review the university’s career service that he feels currently “fails to deliver.”

His most interesting policy for many will be the acquisition of a YUSU club as part of the Union’s latest three-year strategic plan. In his manifesto he states: “As we come to the end of our current Union Strategic Plan, we must begin to think of where to invest next,” citing an alternative to the building of the Courtyard five years ago being the option of acquiring a venue in the city centre.

As an ex-college chair, his manifesto shows a sympathy for the collegiate system, and particularly for the welfare systems of the colleges, for which he intends to lobby the university for an increase in grants of at least 50%. Furthermore, in a year where many students don’t even know where their Sabbatical Officers work from (check up the stairs in James College), Hernando aims to improve access to the union through the use of ‘Have Your Say’ boxes in college common rooms, and by attracting students to attend assemblies through important debates in order to “show them how they can determine Union outcomes,” and in order to improve accessibility and communication between colleges and YUSU.

Finally, he focuses upon the rights of students living in rented homes outside of the university, intending to “lobby the City Council to uphold its ‘Landlords’ Code of Best Practice'”, and to ensure that student areas are protected “from the application of discriminatory anti-HMO legislation”.

The Tipsters Odds: 3/1

With a strong manifesto, one of the largest colleges support behind him and as a recognisable face across both campuses, Hernando’s main threats will come from Kallum Taylor’s hold of the Heslington West vote and from James Carney who could sap away some of the Goodricke vote. One of the favourites.

8 thoughts on “Candidate Profile: Nacho Hernando

1. It’s between Nacho Hernando and James Carney for me. Goodricke College could prove to be the pivoting point in this years elections and will be the vital campaigning ground. Hes East has become more important that Hes West this year.

2. It’s between Nacho Hernando and James Carney for me. Goodricke College could prove to be the pivoting point in this years elections and will be the vital campaigning ground. Hes East is has become more important that Hes West this year.

3. Finally, some tangible policies!
    AND they’re not the typical, boring policies candidates give out year on year…!
    Impressive.

4. A candidate who will make a difference. He’s passionate and determined and always puts student welfare and experience first. Great manifesto to support a guy who’s recognised all around campus. Let’s just hope he has the backing of Hes East like he deserves.

5. Really? Buying one of the clubs? As a 3rd year ive had almost no problems with the clubs and would much rather the money be spent on something much more useful. Seems like a colossal waste of money.

6. Seriously?

Buying a Club in town?

If you read back far enough you’ll find that on Matt Burton’s manifesto.

And he ran about 32 years ago…

Never, ever, ever going to happen.

7. Never ever?
    Sure about that?
    Other unis have clubs, money in the past went on the courtyard just ahead of a yusu club… Its not actually that crazy…!

8. “With regards to the first point, Hernando wants to see YUSU deliver an academic mentoring system, reducing student-staff ratios and providing part-time jobs for post-graduate students”

As a postgrad struggling with finances, this sounds like an excellent idea, and if done well could help undergrads study more effectively. However, the devil is in the detail. How many jobs, roughly, could be provided, and how would they be paid for?

Buying a club in the city centre sounds a bit pointless. Why not add a bar or two to Central Hall and have a weekly club night there instead? It would presumably be a lot cheaper for YUSU, and would save students travel costs.